Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Antenna......

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 2Dogs, Apr 28, 2003.

1. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All,
    I want to palce my antenna mount at the right rear of the Blazer about bed level. I will be using the old spare tire carrier bracket.

Questions:
    4' or 5' firestik?
    How tough are they?
    5' might get beat up too much....

Can a Wilson 1000 or similar be mounted in that position? It will be close to the body.... How wide is the base of the 1000?

Thanks!

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Just remember the longer the better when it comes to a cb antenna. The 5' firestick probably wouldn't hit much more than the 4' one would. Either way you'd be better off to have a heavy duty spring under the antenna in case it hits something real hard.

You'd have a hard time mounting a Wilson 1000 in that location. They are meant to be roofmounted or on a trunk lip. An alternative to the 1000 would be the "trucker" style wilson 2000 or 5000. They have a 3/8x24 thread mount just like the firesticks do so it would be an easy install.

Personally I don't like firesticks that much (I've burned too many of them up /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ) I'm also not too crazy about that style of antenna because of how they don't flex when striking something like a tree branch or drive-thru overhang etc.

My Wilson 1000 and Wilson 2000 have taken over 8 years of getting smacked around and are still going strong.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Nothing wrong carrying more then one antenna with you. In my opinion, nothing can out preform a 102" stainless steel whip, but sometimes they're just too tall for some areas/trails. But it's easy enough to swap them as nessary.

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Options - Wilson 1000 roof mounted with magnet or where....?

Firstik (or that type) 5'

102" - having a hard time locating. Can you send me a pic of your setup Z3PR?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Be happy to once I get it remounted the way I want it. I'm going to do a ball mount on the side of the body in the near future. Had the 102 off the overhead light bar, but couldn't get a good ground.

6. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I agree with Rebel. Get you a Wilson 2000 or 5000 with the short shaft and long whip. That's the standard version. They will take a beating and will mount there well and are a much better antenna than a Firestick.

7. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    Wilson 1000 roof mounted with magnet

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go with a roof mounted 1000/5000 be careful with the magnet if you get a mag mount. Trails can be brutal on a mag mount when it's that high. Most folks that run mag mounts and play offroad normally slap the antenna in the middle of the hood when on the trails to help keep from knocking it off all the time. A bit of a pain in the butt if you ask me.... If you plan to use your cb for more than the occasional offroad trail then forget the magnet.

If you want to mount it on the roof for maximum performance etc then get a regular roof mount version and drill the hole for it otherwise just stick with your original idea and put your mount on the back.

8. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    Had the 102 off the overhead light bar, but couldn't get a good ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the things ground straps are good for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

No matter where you mount an antenna you can always make a good ground even if it isnt' there.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Had the 102 off the overhead light bar, but couldn't get a good ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the things ground straps are good for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

No matter where you mount an antenna you can always make a good ground even if it isnt' there.

[/ QUOTE ] Tried a ground strap, still had problems with it.