Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Articulation & Softer Ride?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, May 24, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I have my 70 K5, it has I believe Rancho 4" lift in front with 4" blocks in rear. I am going to switch over to the Rear Shackle Flip that is in the tech section of CK5.com, and possibly even flip the overload like was done on Project UAV, but my ride is so friggin rough. I just went offroading for my first time yesterday with a buddy of mine who has a 2000 Jp Wrangler and by the end of the day I felt like I had gotten the S beat outta me, not to mention one rough *BUMP* that took out my dash and tail lights. Anyone know of anything that could get me better articulation and a softer ride, cause both are crap right now. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i took out one of the leafs up front, made the ride a bit softer. i lost about an 1" though. you may also try airing down the tires to about 12-15psi.
    i did a mistake once of going with 35psi down some washboards down in baja. i hated my blazer after that, seemed like someone put a steel bucket over my head and banged the S out of it for about 4 hours.

ARQ.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Try some tuff country EZ ride front springs and maybe some second gen 52" rears with the UHMW slider tips with a shackle flip. Also good quality shocks help a lot...like the Doetch Tech DT8000's or some Bilstiens.

Rene

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

2nd best mod to date -> Tuff Country springs. (#1 is the new engine) Much softer than the rancho lift (what I believe was on the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif when I got it)

Les Schwab sells them here locally for $5.00 - $10.00 more than ORD. Just make sure when you order them they order the rears with 2" more lift than the front - because of the reversed shackle - they neglected to do that on mine and I had to wait a week. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

to cure the "butt sag" look of the rearend I used a 1" block... soon to be replaced with a taller rear spring (so if you want a 2" lifted rear spring I will have some for sale soon - used for only a few months and never off-road yet) and a 1" zero-rate in the front.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

pull a front leaf out and go with better shocks.

the flip will help in the back alot!!.

where did ya guys go??
    -Jeremy

6. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

You might want to try a little longer shackle in the front and rear to after the new springs. They can help smooth things out a bit and aid the spring articulation.

7. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

It's a little extreme, but this is what I run

I use to have Tough Contry EZ's in the front, took them off the ride was $hit and absolutely no flex, at least the type of flex I'm after. Swapped a set of Jeep CJ7 rear springs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifinto the front of my blazer and added some springs from an orignial front GM leaf pack. Total of 9 leafs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Now before everyone goes crazy, let me make some statements about what I have done. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

1. The flex that this setup offers is the $hit... It is a flex monster.
    2. It comes with some downfalls, the main leaf of the jeep is a little thin, actually lot's of thin... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    3. The body roll is very noticeable. No questions about it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    4. You absolutely must run 9012's, and extend your shock towers, or add new ones. On the road you have to run them at 5, on the trail 1 for max flex.
    5. I run high steer/crossover. With this much flex in the front end, the new springs screw with the crossover/highsteer. Be prepared. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    6. It's not for everyone, especially if you run alot on the roads, if you are looking for some serious flex for the trail, this is an excellent modification.

If you want to see it, check out my webshots album on my profile. Look under the MISC Folder, there are some awesome shots of the springs flexed out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now in the rear, I run Springer, and all I can say is, you have to run it to understand. The softness/flex it offers is unbelieveable.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now the disclaimer: /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif My first gen blazer is almost a deticated trail rig. I however do drive it to work everyday, just a short trip, and I do run erands in it. But no major road trips in it. To the trail head and back. I pound the everliving $hit out of it on the trail. And for what I want it works awesome. Now I would never take a 500 mile road trip in it.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[image]http://http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=67464455&photoID=67464539&security=wicRsS[/image]

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm running 57" fords up front so I didn't want to get into that,LOL

-Jeremy

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You have the same setup my truck had on it when I got it. I haven't changed the front yet but I put in a ORD shackle flip and put some UHMWPE buttons in the rear leaves. I also noticed when I started taking the rear end apart that there was a Rancho "overload add-a-leaf" (a overload with enough arch in it that the springs rested on it at ride height) as well as a regular overload. After just that the truck runs a bit smoother but still sucks up front. I have some 63" leaves from a 89-up chevy p/u that I am going to swap into the rear maybe this summer. For the front I had been planing on putting some 2nd gen front EZ-rides up front. The 2nd gen springs are softer than the 1st gen springs (I think because 2nd gens had swaybars and 1st gens didn't???) as well as 3" longer. I planed on moving the front spring hangers forward 1 hole (about 1.5") and using a longer shackle.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Another "Rancho" victim!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have yet to hear someone say they LIKE Rancho springs in a 1st Gen. My truck had them when I got it.....and your story sounds like my truck used to drive...LOUSY!!

The easy test to confirm your front springs are the culprit (courtesy of Dr. Watson @ ORD) is to disconnect your front shocks and drive around a little while. If the ride quality doesn't noticeably change....the springs are WAY too stiff. Mine rode the same with or without shocks up front....

I swapped out the front springs for a softer custom pack and the ride became amazingly good. I'd say that's step one for you too.

A shackleflip and a set of late model K5 rear springs (they are softer and usually FREE) will be a nice change in the rear.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

I went with the 4" Skyjacker Softride, and though the ride can get a bit bouncy, it's not jarring. It took a lot of harshness out of the ride. Washboards arent' even as bad as the '96 Bronco that I got rid of. And that's with 35 pounds in the meats!

12. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I went with the Skyjacker softrides as well. Hell of an improvement over the Ranchos. I have 6" front and 8" rear springs and it works pretty well. I picked them years ago after an article in one of the mags (Fourwheeler?) when they installed them on a 72 K10. They're a bit pricy, but they do ride well. When there are some pictures of this weekend's run posted I'll link them.

One thing I've found with the setup I have is that my shocks make a big difference. I have RS9000s and I run them set at 4 or 5 in the front on the street because the front springs do want to move and stiffer shocks helps with the body roll (no complaints). You can always go with a sway bar (Steve_Chin and Greg_72 would be the guys to talk to about this). If you're going a bit slower, with the shocks set down at 1 or 2 and with 10 psi in the tires, the ride is amazingly smooth. With 500 lbs of wood and junk in the back, it rides like a caddy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, ..... well, almost, lol.

13. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Thank you all very much for the advice. Please keep it coming, I like all the different options I have gotten already. With that in mind, how much lift would I be looking at for 36" tires? Will they fit under a 6" lift? I know they would fit with the 4" lift that I have on right now, even offroad, because that SOB wouldn't flex enough to even touch them /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But would a 6" lift that has decent articulation fit them (would I need some fender trimming)?
    Thanks For All Your Help Guys,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am running 4" of lift and 36" tires. The rear flexes well. I could use some more droop but not more stuff. When I put in the 63" springs out back I will put in bump stops to keep from getting any more stuff. I have the axle moved back 1" and I had to trim the front all the way to the strut rod.

In the front all I have trimmed so far is the "fang" in front of the wheels. I rubb on the back of the wheel well but it is flat and has done no damage to the tire or sheet metal asside from rubbing off the paint.

[​IMG]

Notice how the front has ZERO FLEX!

You can see more pics in my webshots

15. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

There's no way I could stuff a 36 in the rear fenderwells, I was shocked that I got the 35 in there since I haven't trimmed a bit. I have cut off the front fang (well .. on one side since I since crumpled the other fender and the new one hasn't been trimmed yet). I rub on the inside, on the flat part the same as Triaged, so I don't worry about that too much. 36's would probably just do the same thing, sooner.

Edited with pic: .. That's about as much front droop as I can get without twisting the axles

[​IMG]

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's a pic of mine "back in the day" on 36" Hummer Tires with a 4" spring & 2" Body lift:

[​IMG]

Don't kid yourself about trimming if you are planning to get SOFT springs. In this photo, the "stuffed" tire up front was rubbing all over the fender. If you don't want to cut fenders, you will need to use excessive lift with stiff springs.... or a smaller tire than 35"

(My truck sure looks like Chris T's doesn't it?) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's a pic of mine "back in the day" on 36" Hummer Tires with a 4" spring & 2" Body lift:

[​IMG]

Don't kid yourself about trimming if you are planning to get SOFT springs. In this photo, the "stuffed" tire up front was rubbing all over the fender. If you don't want to cut fenders, you will need to use excessive lift with stiff springs.... or a smaller tire than 35"

(My truck sure looks like Chris T's doesn't it?) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The more he wheels with me, the more dented it gets! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

In that pic there I think Greg has a dent or two on me. Haven't done a full crawl-under-the-truck damage assesment yet, but I think I managed this weekend with nothing more than a slightly more frayed battery cable.

19. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Nope spoke too soon .. woke up this a.m. to a small stain under the rear diff. Guess sliding backwards on axlebreaker finished what I started in Potawami