Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more axel swap woes...?'s D/S related

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Jul 21, 2004.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

more axel swap woes...?\'s D/S related

so i got the 14ff/d44 on my truck,finally.my driveshaft is too short.like,4-6in.THAT SUCKS!!!how much to have it lengthened.i'm running a 700/208,the k20 donor was a 350/203.does anyone know the diff.in length?will the donor shaft work ok?will i need another conversion joint coming off the tranny?PLEEEEEEEEEEASE HEEEEEEELP!!!i've already got more cash into this project than i'd planned on.what are my options?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Re: more axel swap woes...?\'s D/S related

I odnt know why your d/s would be short the houseings are the same length from the houseing to the end of the pinion, did you swap in longer springs??

3. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

nope,1/2t.springs 3/4t.axels.they still have the 16.5in tires/rims until i get my 15in.tires on the 15in. 8 luggers.just thought of that.would the difference in tire/rim size be the problem?

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

no lift? and a 14bolt and the shaft is too short?? thats very odd. a 14bolt is actually longer making a truck with stock springs/no lift would need a SHORTER shaft...not longer

5. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

no lift,either.very odd,indeed.i really need my truck.can't have it down for long.my theory(end of d/s to pinion is about 4 finger wide gap)smaller tires/rims might close the gap.this is my first project of this type.it would really comfort me to know it is'nt screwed up.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

does the shaft fall out of the tcase when you try to bolt it on? how much on the slip yoke is showing?

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Have no clue what the prob could be. The 14b swap is a direct bolt in, same d-shaft. Tires and wheels won't make any difference at all.

I just re-read your post..Are you using the driveshaft that came from the donor truck?? If so, that's your problem. Use the shaft from your truck. Might have to use a 1350 u-joint /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

heres my theory: you have the shaft all the way slid into the Tcase (np208 right?) and dont realize that it is a slip yoke, meaning you can slide it in and out of the Tcase. try sliding it out enough to reach the pinion on the 14B and you should be good2go...but if it slips completely out of the Tcase B4 it reaches the rear end then you have a short shaft problem /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif (good term huh /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) and you should be using yer stock driveline with a napa 447 u-joint

9. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ] and you should be using yer stock driveline with a napa 447 u-joint

[/ QUOTE ]i slid it all the way.looks like about 4-6in. of the yoke shaft showing.whats the CARQUEST PART NUMBER?ANYONE?

10. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

no more axel swap woes!

i'm now 3/4t.!!!it only took a week,three hours per morning before work.everything worked out after all.the d/s wasn't too short after all.i forgot that ipushed it all the way in to the case to get it out of the way /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.funny thing,though.i didn't need a conversion joint.the caps are the same size from 1/2t. d/s to 14ff pinion. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifit was a major PITA for a beginner,but also a great learning experience and well worth the work involved.my 700r4 likes it much better than it did the 3:08's.the gov-lock works awesome,too.i'm finally seeing the full potential of that new 350ci.though my speedo reads 85mph when i'm doing approx.45mph.(but that's another post)any way,thanks for the inspiration. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif