Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More axle identification B.S> everyone LOOK

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alaskanbowtie, Mar 21, 2004.

1. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

OK more bullshit, I tore the front end apart to find that the D44 parts I ordered are the wrong ones. The pinion I ordered for the D44 and carrier wont fit in my housing , it's to small!!!! So I must have a 10 bolt in the front BUT the axle identification chart HERE on the site shows me a picture of a D44, and thats EXACTLY what mine looks like! So I ordered parts for a D44 and they WON'T FIT, So I go outside and look at a buddies 90 burb and guess what his looks just like mine and I know it has to be a corporate 10 bolt because it's the original axle! I'm VERY PISSED about this bullshit, now I have to send back these parts and pay the 80.00 shipping for the gears,carrier & install kit going back and then another 80.00 to get the right parts here which will take atleast 3 weeks because of the mail to Alaska being slow and all because the stupid chart has a picture that looks just like my 10 bolt, now the only other possibility is that the parts are in the wrong boxes from the manufacturer (highly doubt it) and they sent me the wrong carrier. BUT I know this is not possible because the carrier that came out of my front end is the same carrier as another 10bolt rear carrier I have laying here on the bench! What a JOKE, I would show you a picture of the axle but I dont know how to put it on here! It doesn't realy matter anyway because it's A FUKN 10 bolt!!!! So please anyone who reads this don't make this mistake, it's costing me 160.00 minimum and about 3 weeks without my rig /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif BULLSHIT

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dana 44

[​IMG]

10 bolt (8.5")

[​IMG]

Both those images are accurate enough for all but the blind...

Rene

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

There are more ways to tell what axle you have besides the ID chart on this site. The Dana 44 has a "44" cast into the housing just to the lower right of the cover. Pretty hard to mess that one up. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The cover on the 10 bolt is much more round than the D44. They also have two ears that stick out below the cover on each side of the housing.

Here is a Dana 44....
    [​IMG]

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yep, ya live and learn... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats what this site is for...to help the newbies and those who do not know what axles they have. Even the drawn pictures can be confusing sometimes. Its always best to ask for pictures of what you need and ask questions, too. I can understand your frustrations, but hey, its like they say, "live and learn." /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. alaskanbowtie

LOL I guess I'm BLIND but my diff is a ten bolt and doesn't look near that smooth and round, I will take a picture tomorrow at the shop and show you how it looks nothing like the round smooth faced picture here you show!!!!!!! It does how ever have the 2 ears on the bottom of the housing but the cover is NOT that round, thats like an AMC cover. The 2 ears are the definet difference

7. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    that picture is of a rear 10 bolt...

The front's arn't that round becase of the flange for the U bolt.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Can we get a pic of a 10b front put into the 'guide'? This is not the first time this mistake was made /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. tRustyK5

Eventually you can spot the difference from 30 feet at 40 mph...the two small ears at the bottom are a dead give-away though.

Rene

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Agreed....Drool over enough D60's and this becomes true also /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. tRustyK5

Yup, spotted a D60 under a skanky looking K30 the other day...spotted it from well over 100 feet away as we were driving by. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Eventually you can spot the difference from 30 feet at 40 mph...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't that the truth! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Since CK5, that is how I initially rate a rig when I see it toolin' down the road! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. alaskanbowtie

yeah the ears are the real give away, I do think though it's my fault not the site's and I have nothin but respect for you in particular, but it is an easy mistake for those of us that are relatively new to the game, I thought I was fairly sharp till this stupid mistake, I will give HUGE koodoze to Drivetrainsuperstores.com EXCELLENT people to deal with, they are sending me the right stuff before they even get the Dana44 set up back, I called them today and Joe Tucker the sales dude said no problem I send it out today!! Just let me know when you get a tracking number. WOW /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif that kind of customer service is non existent anymore, and he didn't ask for a dime not even for shipping /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif So anyone who is going to buy anything for there rig call these guys first they will beat anyone and by enough to make you smile!! There were 5 guys that started the business and they all worked for 4wheel parts for years, they were fed up with all the bullshit and so started there own company, they also have Offroadsuperstores.com Try them you wont be disappointed!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah the ears are the real give away, I do think though it's my fault not the site's and I have nothin but respect for you in particular, but it is an easy mistake for those of us that are relatively new to the game, I thought I was fairly sharp till this stupid mistake,

[/ QUOTE ]

The learning curve is steep...and at one time I couldn't tell the difference either. I'm glad to hear those guys are treating you as well as they are /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

15. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I would have just gone out and found a D44 for cheap and save the shipping charges to send the parts back and do a small upgrade to the truck.