Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Big Bear, CA pictures

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Jun 6, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Here is another link to some more pictures of our Memorial Day weekend trip up to Big Bear. Most of the pictures are from the John Bull Trail, and some are from Gold Mountain trail, also. These were taken by Lynn Reed, he drives the Red fullsize Cherokee that you will see. Enjoy!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1703327&a=13181371&f=0&sp=0>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1703327&a=13181371&f=0&sp=0</A>

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Pretty cool! I have one complaint though.....MORE PICS!!!!

<font color=red>I'm a psychic amnesiac. I know in advance what I'm going to forget. </font color=red>

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Did you guys do all of John Bull Trail? I got to where you are in pic 23 and coulden't make it past (open diff's suck!). Am I just a wuss for not making it. Does it get worse than that or is that the worst of it?

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Triaged,

Yes, we did the entire trail. I really can't remember how much worse it got after that, I just remember rocks, rocks and more rocks!!! [​IMG] Did you have anyone with you? I think you could probably have made it, but then again with open diffs you run the risk of breaking something on John Bull! Isn't that an awesome trail?

They are "restoring" the trail this weekend actually, making it even HARDER and more fun! [​IMG] I can't wait to go back!!

Keith

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That trail is assome! I need lockers as well as tires but was supprised that my truck did as well as it did. There were no trucks with me that could make it that far but there were 7 othe people in the blazer with me! A few would get out and spot me on the tough stuff (almost all of it). My friend has a Tundra with 33's and when we got to the start of the trail he said "this is where I stop". When backing out I had spotting issues and got my front bumper stuck on that rock. The bumper only got scratched with the full weight of the truck on it rocking back and forth.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just read the end of your message. Restoring? Harder? Holy He!!

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, a good spotter is essential on that trail!! Especially with my rear 14bff! [​IMG] I actually had my brother driving a bit of it so I could get out and let him learn (talk about on the job training! ha,ha He just bought a sweet 72 Bronco, so he needs to get some "crash" courses on the rocks before he gets that thing out there!)

Lockers are a nice thing to have on that trail, definitely. I think I could have sold my rear Detroit and front ARB for a lot of money that day!! [​IMG] But you know what? I don't recall EVER pulling a tow strap for anyone! We just spotted each other and yes, there were several "backup and try that agains", but no calls for the winch or strap! Guess we got some luck...and no broken parts was really lucky! (Although I would later learn of my steering box frame crack when I got home!)

I hope that you can make it with us next time Triaged!!

Keith

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I guess every year or two they go through it and reposition rocks to make it a bit harder and also to make the entrances to the trail look so intimidating (that keeps the guys like your Tundra buddy off the trail, because this is one trail that you don't want an unprepared truck - or driver - out on, especially since most sections are so narrow that there is NO passing room.

Anyway, it should be interesting to see what they do with it! That trail makes me REALLY want those 38'' Swampers!! [​IMG] My 14 bff is thanking me for putting on the Rock Ring from Avalanche Engineering, it took dozens of hits without a problem! Have you ever done Dishpan Springs?? That is a hell of a trail also...

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I hope I can make it next time! I'll have to see what I can get done of the things I need to do. Maby it will be ready in time for Blazer-Fest. I am thinking of ordering a Lock-Right to go with my new 36" Swampers (when I can afford them)

10. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have more on the way. They should be up in a few days.

Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people