Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More boring VSS issues.....Old in to new with a twist..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Feb 11, 2003.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Man, after spending the last 14 days killing myself to get my S-truck conversion done, I am running into the same VSS issues as others (just got finished with a 2 hour search).

My 89 np241 has the mechanical speedo but the s-10 (which is a 90 BTW) has the electronic. I am using Painless wiring and it has the lead for the VSS. No prob, I ordered the VSS adapter today, but now I am concerned with the speedo not working.

Are the s-series eltronic speedos the same as the fullsizes of the same year?? Will the adapter send the right signal for the speedo or does the speedo get its signal from the ecm???

HELP!!

Rob

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, sounds like you are in a similar situation that I was in, I have a 90 K5 (first year elec speedo) and when I swaped in the NP205 (mech speedo) I had to get a 241 tone ring (speedo gear thingy) and then have Donovan take it down a bit and machine a hole in the tale shaft of the 205 so I could screw in the VSS sensor in order for the VSS to pick up the elec pulses.
    It was kind of a pain until I talked to Donovan and he figured out how to do it, so you might have to go that route.
    Here is a pic of my 205, we put a plug in the old mech speedo cable output (top) so it does nothing. just under it you can see where the new VSS sensor plugs in (thanks Donovan).
    [​IMG]

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

What T case came in a 1989 K1500 truck? just something id like to know I thought it was a 205 but mine looks kinda like that only flipped over due to IFS and the fn diveshaft being on the driveside... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net and http://bigboytoys.8k.com

4. CK5

Should be a NP241 with drivers side drop.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I have a VSS thats in line with the speedometer cable. It's a 4000 pulse per mile that I got from jagsthatrun.com part # 4PC. I know my 730 ECM (90-92 f-body) has a speedometer output, so mabye something like mine would work for you? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Here's a link to all the VSS's they have http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html

6. CK5

I don't think any of those will work, you went from a VSS to a mech and he needs to go from a mech to elec. When I did mine I called everyone including that jags place, they all had a solution for VSS to elec but none of them had anything for mech to elec.

7. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I found that the buffer is between the wire connector and the speedo....I hope that the painless adapter will give it the right signal....ortherwise I will be contacting donavon

8. jmd

jmd Registered Member

What ECM are you using?