Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More carb questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Sep 10, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

My 72 has an Edelbrock that runs like crap, used a 1/4 tank in 25 mi. of highway the other day and won't start cold without starter fluid.

I also have an extra Qjet laying around.

Should I have the Edelbrock rebuilt on the engine, or have the Qjet rebuilt and bolt it on and pull the Edelbrock and e-bay it or something.

I have never rebuilt a carb, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be for me to do myself. And, once the Qjet is rebuilt, should it just bolt on or will it need an experienced hand to adjust.

Thanks.

2. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

you can try and re-tune ur eldecrap if you'd rather use it for a while longer...but if ur looking to rebuild, use the qjet...i pulled mine off for a eldecrap swap and i regret it...it'll be goin back on soon!!!!
    As far as rebuilding ur qjet, got to ur local parts store, get the kit and the tool specific to qjets and get after it. I've never rebuilt one, but many fellas here have and can give some tips..

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The Q-jet really isn't all that difficult once you read up on it . The most important tool you need is patience . The primaries will give you good mileage if you can keep your foot out of it , and when you need power , one stomp and its there .

If your manifold isn't spreadbore anymore , you just need a simple spacer/adapter from th elocal parts store . If you have a spacer on yours to adapt the Edelbrock , then just remove that . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You know, I don't think a retune will do it on the edelbrock, it's stuck wide open (I can't even close it by pushing) and sucks the gas like crazy. Many people have said to stick w/ the Qjet and I've heard all of Z3PR's diatribes re: "edelcrap", so I think I'll just rebuild the Qjet. I'm thinking since it's off the truck now, it should be OK for me to give it a shot, and the rebuild kits don't look that expensive opposed to what the shop wants to rebuild it. (+/- $200 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif)

Maybe I'll buy the kit and get some info from CK5ers and try my hand at it.

They make an "off-road" kit for it according to Checker, anyone know if it's worthwhile?

Thanks for the input.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You don't need a "off road" kit for the Q-jet , its built in goodness is already for you as is , just freshen it up and adjust her /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I think Q-jets are kind of complex to rebuild but they're a great carb. I helped my friend rebuild one for his ramcharger with the help of our auto teacher. I think the q-jets would be better then the edelbrock and you'll have a 750cfm carb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Later

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks all, kit purchased, I'll start rebuild this weekend. Wish me luck! Guess I'll sell the edelbrock.