Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More chioces Which one sounds best?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by TexasT, Apr 14, 2003.

1. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

After deciding on the red '85 3/4T I found another.
    This one is powered by a small block 350 and has a 4 speed auto Trans. Which trans is this (700r4?) How much can I expect to pull/tow with this engine/trans combo?
    I'm thinking stay with the bigblock/T400 in the '85 but the other truck with the small block has a bench seat, tg, all the seats but the a/c compressor has locked up and been removed from the truck though the seller has it. Both have rear a/c. Small block will need tires soon, BB has fairly new tires. SB Asking $2500 BB asking $2300
    I'd like the sb for mileage and it has a front bench.
    I like the bb for the T400 and towing power.
    Boils down to how much can I tow/pull with the small block? Thanks

Rich

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Rich,

I think you'd better factor in the rear axle ratio (and whether it's FF or SF) as criteria for towing also.....

I know that TORQUE is king, but gear reduction is just as valid of a way to get TORQUE as building it into the motor.... deeper gears on that 350 engine might make it A-OK.

If you're going to tow HEAVY, I'd want to know that the rear axle was a full-floater.....you'd hate to lose a wheel with a heavy setup!! (Acutally I'd hate to lose a wheel no matter what! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

3. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

yeah what greg said also 85 is right in the middle of the questionable 700-r4 years.
    overdrive is nice and so is the lower 1st gear,but the longevity of the th-400 and torque of the 454 is probably better suited to towing but it depends on the weight of what your towing and how often you tow it.
    goodluck

4. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Thanks for the thoughts.
    I had forgotten about the FF vs SF issue.
    Will be towing a 28' Enclosed car hauler(trailer rated for 10K#) Still leaning toward the 454/t400 ff for durability sake. Also am very excited as I found a 3rd seat at the wrecking yard today and the guy only charged me $40 for it. Now just need the rear tg glass. if I buy the '85.
    Thanks again! PS where can I get a host for pix and I'll post some when I get it home.

Rich

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

big block....if the small block/T-700 has 3.42 gears, like mine, I wouldn't want to tow a truckload of people, let alone a heavy trailer....the best part of a new vehicle anyway, is massaging it to better suit your needs....

6. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Here are some shots of my new toy to toat the other toys. This is why I am having to upgrade to a bigger towing machine.

new trailer
    new trailer

Rich

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Here are some shots of my new toy to toat the other toys. This is why I am having to upgrade to a bigger towing machine.

new trailer
    new trailer

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
    After looking at those pictures of what you plan to tow....BIG BLOCK FOR SURE! I did a lot of looking and asking before deciding on a 454 and the main trail I'll pull at this time is going to max at 4500lb BUT I want the option ofe being able to tow my 75 Jimmy and were talking 8k on a trailer.
    Now I did some asking and yes day to day the SB will get a little better millage. it looks like about 2mpg on average. Now depending on the gear of the 454 it's not bad. I have a 3.73 and I wanted that with the TH400. Yeah it doesn't like blowing down the road without OD so I pretty well set the cruise on 65 and let her roll and enjoy the ride. The difference is I'll be able to do the same with 8K behind her and it will still do fine. the SB and 10 bolt won't. I think all the 454 trucks got a 14ff. That's whats in mine.