Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More computer ? - IDE configuration,HD partitions, fan recommendations

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Jul 30, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have three IDE devices to hook up.
    IDE HD ata 100
    CD-RW
    DVD-ROM
    WHat I was thinking was that the HD should be primary master, the dvdrom secondary master, and the cdrw secondary slave. The only place performance would suffer is if I were to try to directly burn something from a DVD to a CD, but that is unlikely since I usually create an image file on th eHD and burn that.
    Second ? - My HD now is a 6 Gig, and I only have one partition. The new HD is 80 GB. I forget the details about limits of partition size vs. block size and wasted room, blah blah. Can I partion it as one big NTFS or do I need to make 4 20's, etc. I'd rather have just one big partition if that is practical.
    Lastly - I see a lot of fans and heatsinks out there.
    Since I'm not planning on overclocking, I assume I can skip SDRAM heatsinks and just worry about the CPU and of course for the case fans. I have an Athlon XP 1600+. Does anyone have heatsink recs? I was look at the Dragon Orb 3 for $20. They all seem pretty reasonable to me. As far as case fans, mine only comes with one but has provisons for more. I should go ahead and fill them? The case fans are just a few bucks each.
    I've searched the internet (tomshardware, exhardware, lots of others) but the test systems are always Oc'd CPU, increases FSB, oc'd video card, with a radiator for water cooling bigger than the ones on 6.2L diesels. I'm a little more basic than that.
    -- Mike

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

couple of important things: put the harddrive on its own chain, with no CD/DVD drive on it. when you put a harddrive on a chain with something slower like a CD drive, everything on that chain drops to the same speed as the slowest object. so, your ATA100 harddrive would run at ATA33 if you're lucky. put the CD and DVD drives on the secondary master and slave, and the harddrive on the primary master. ( also, the CD drive will not work on the secondary slave, without a master in front of it)

there is wasted space from making a singular drive, due to block size, but the only way to save that space is to format out to 40 2 GB partitions, which is entirely impractical. keep it as a single 80GB, and you'll be happiest. (it should still format out to 76 GB or so, and I doubt you'll be able to use that all up before you can afford to add another drive)

for Heatsinks, check out toms hardware guide, or Hard OCP. generaly speaking, almost any heatsink will do as long as you;re not clocking. also, its important to think about the case fan placement, to get optimal airflow through it. if you have the front fans blowing air into the case, and the rear fans sucking air out, you'll have a positive flow, that'll dump heat out side the rear of the case, and keep a lot of air flowing around everything. my comptuer has a rather warped setup,.that'd work great for overclocking... I removed teh side panel, and zip tied 2 120 MM fans ( 4 inch fans) to the case, blowing inwards, at kinda an angle. when I had it setup like this, everything in the case was cold to the touch, but quite the loud. I currently have a 2 fans pointint out the back of the case, 2 pointint at the hard drives ( 1 each) and 1 120 MM fan sitting in a hole in the side of the case. ( the 120 MM flows 110CFM, and cost 8 bucks at frys) I can overclock my 850 thunderbird up to 962, with no ill effects, or problems with running games adn whatnot with this system, although its truthfully probably too much.

-Rich

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    put the harddrive on its own chain, with no CD/DVD drive on it. when you put a harddrive on a chain with something slower like a CD drive, everything on that chain drops to the same speed as the slowest object. so, your ATA100 harddrive would run at ATA33 if you're lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and No.. If it is a newer HDD and an older CDR then chances are yes the speed will be dropped down to the speed of the CDR. However if they are both fairly new devices then they will be able to operate at differen't speeds. Read This