Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More computer issues....USB tuff this time.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

OK, Here's the story..

I've got a USB key board, and USB mouse. The keyboard is plugged into the onboard USB ports on the motherboard. Keyboard also has 2 USB ports on the back, the mouse is plugged into one, and a game controller thing plugged into the other. My web cam/dig cam is pluggedinto the second port on the motherboard. My problem is this, Sometimes, well, alot, the USB seems to just totally cut out on the keyboard and mouse. Key board and mouse lights go off and niether works. I have to pull the mouse plug from the back of the keyboard and plug it in again, to make everything work. I'll have mouse control for a few seconds then it will cut off again.I usually have to do this 15-20+ times a day. Gets frustrating. I've tried different combinations..Plugging things into different ports, and it oesn't do any good. Ya'all think the onboard USB on the mobo is goin bad? I was lookin at a USB 2.0 card, pretty cheap, is backwards compatible with USB 1.0- Would that fix things?

Just while typing this post, I had to unplug and replug 3 times...ARGHHHHHH! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Try this out. Turn off your computer, unplug it all. Take off the case so you can reach the internals. The USB in the back most likely is an add-on to the motherboard and is plugged in to the motherboard much like you plug a mouse into the port. Find where the USB connects, undo it, and plug it back in again on the motherboard. While you're at it, dust it all off gently, blow on it, make sure dust is not the problem. Blow out any dust from the USB mouse and keyboard plugs that go into the USB ports also. See if the connection is loose or if it fits snug. Move the keyboard and mouse to the same set of ports, either both onboard or both on the extra ports. Get back to me after you do all this and I'll try and help you some more.

3. Zeus33rd

It's onboard USB. Not an add on. I built this computer my self a few years back, So I know it well. Asus P3B-F mobo, with a coppermine P3 750@900.

Already done all the simple stuff- unplugging and replugging things, dusting, cleaning and inspecting. Thats why I suspected what I did.

4. dysphemism

If you switch the plugs around, does it seem that the mouse and keyboard are at fault or the usb ports?

5. Zeus33rd

USB ports. It doesn't matter what I plug into the ports. They all cut out like I described.

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Its a power issue. The USB port on the back of your keyboard does not have enough power to supply a Optical Mouse.

7. Zeus33rd

Not a power ssue. I've plugged the mouse into the ports on the back of the computer as well. The key board itself cuts out too, and its plugged into the ports on the computer. This just recently started too. I've had the mouse plugged into the keyboard for years. I tried to plug the web cam into the key board once, and if I remember correctly, a window popped up saying something about not enuff power, I think. Anyways, the camera wouldn't work on the key board.

8. Waxer

I'll bet it is. I had the very same problem, not as often as yours but the same problem nonetheless. I bought a 15 dollar USB hub that has its own power. Problem has never come back.

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My vote is for not enough juice to support all the USB ports.

10. dysphemism

You could try unplugging your cd drives or anything else that you don't need and see if it is a power issue.

11. Zeus33rd

300 watt power supply.

12. ChevyCaGal

Not talking that kind of power. I mean power as in memory to have them all going...

13. Zeus33rd

Half gig of PC133.

ANYWAYS, back to the original question- What of the USB 2.0 card? Does anyone know anything about these things? Anyone run one? Only like $25 so I'm seriously thinkin about getting one.

14. Zeus33rd

Also, If it was a power issue, like I said before, why did it only start recently? This hasn't been an issue till the last couple months or so. The system has been exactly the same for the past 2+ years. With the exception of the RAM upgrade about 6 months ago.

15. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    Not talking that kind of power. I mean power as in memory to have them all going...

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, too funny /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, If it was a power issue, like I said before, why did it only start recently? This hasn't been an issue till the last couple months or so. The system has been exactly the same for the past 2+ years. With the exception of the RAM upgrade about 6 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

When it comes to computers there are never any certainties. Why it only started recently? I have no fricken clue. What OS are you running?

Here's what mine used to do, so tell me if it sounds like your problem.

Mine used to... when booting up and getting to the login screen on windows 2k, the keyboard/mouse wouldn't be active at all. I would have to pull the usb cord out of the back of the computer, wait a couple seconds, put it back in and the keyboard would mysteriously work.

Or initially the keyboard would work, but single keys like the A key or z, or other single keys wouldn't work. I'd do the pull the cord out trick and it'd fix it every time.

So, frustrated and going on past experiences I bought a 6 port USB hub. Plugged the power in and stuck the usb cord into the back of my puter. Plugged all my usb devices into the hub (keyboard, mouse, scanner, printer, Compact Flash reader) and I have no longer experienced any problems since.

Is your problem power related? Maybe? Maybe not?
    I just know your symptoms sounded similar and I know what my fix was.

Good luck on your system.

17. Zeus33rd

Running XP Pro.

Symptoms kinda like yours, but not really. It doesn't seem to make a difference when it is, log in, log out, etc etc, the mouse just quits working. Randomly. XP will makes it's little noise/chime for when you plug in a USB cable- Without me unplugging anything. Then makes the noise for plugging a USB cable back in. This happens repeatadly, without me doing anything. It just cuts on and off without me toucing a thing. Kinda like a loose connection or something. I have to unplug it and replug it in, sometimes this doest work till the 5th or 5th time.

Anyways, like I said once before- BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION!!! USB 2.0 Card. Anyone? I don't need help diagnosing my problem, no offense, I just want to know about this USB card thing. If it will work, how they work, if anyone else uses one... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. Waxer

Well the whole point of your first post was to fix your "problem". YOu didn't specify whether or not you wanted to diagnose the actual cause or bandaid it.

But to answer your question, yes a USB 2.0 card will eliminate your problem. It sounds like you have a problem with the USB interface on your motherboard tho. Sure you know what that means....

19. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Well the whole point of your first post was to fix your "problem". YOu didn't specify whether or not you wanted to diagnose the actual cause or bandaid it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a smart ass or anything but if you go back and read the post, this is what the end of it stated-

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya'all think the onboard USB on the mobo is goin bad? I was lookin at a USB 2.0 card, pretty cheap, is backwards compatible with USB 1.0- Would that fix things?

[/ QUOTE ]

I already KNOW what the problem is, I just wanted some opinions on my proposed solution to the problem.

Band aid? What other way is there to fix this problem? It's either get a USB card, a USB hub like you said, or get a new mobo. I built this computer from scratch myself, so I know what that involves and I don't want to do it.

Once again, I mean no offense. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Now, can I have a hug?

20. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    Running XP Pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, it's so clear now... well, I think it is.... how old is the stuff you are running, like the mouse? If it's not made specifically for XP, then this makes sense. I had a scanner that was not made for XP. But I was able to download drivers, and it was supposed to work fine, blah blah blah.... it did, for about 8 months, then one day, it gave me the finger, and never worked right again in XP. Funny thing I gave it to my friend with 98, and she says it works perfectly. Go figure. So... if you have XP that alone might be the issue. Was for me... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif