Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Construction Advice Needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Nov 8, 2004.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I've got my final plans, truss calculations, structural calculations and a big fat check ready to go down to the City building department and apply for my permit /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

When I was talking to the contractor last week, he said I could save about $3,000 if I put owner/builder on the app instead of putting down his name as the general. Sounds good to me because I would be happy enough to use that $3K on something else, but I'm wondering what are the possible pitfalls of this type of arrangement. He would still be running the job and all that, but he said if I put myself down as the general, then he wouldn't "have to put it through his insurance". So, I asked what would happen if someone falls off the roof and gets hurt or somethin. He said that all his guys and everyone who would be working on the job are required to carry their own liability insurance, so it wouldn't be anything to worry about. I'm just concerned that if something happened, it would be a claim against my homeowners insurance. Should I get something in writing from him that if an injury occurs, I'm not responsible? Is that even possible?

Opinions/advice from those who know would be tremendously appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

It may be more than liability / work comp - what about property damage while on the job? Or shortcut construction that isn't according to spec? I'm sure some of the contractors here could list the various types of insurance they are required to carry, and if you could get that insurance instead and still save some money. I don't think you should fly without it tho.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well Im a newbie to construction permits and what not, but to me this could mean a couple things:
    -He is gonna do the job under the table, so he won't pay taxes on the money he earns
    -Other thing I can think of is that there is an issue with his liscense, since the city would check to make sure he is liscensed to do the work you are getting a permit for
    -ummm, dunno about anything else, probably some other reasons for doing it, though none of them are above board technically...

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Don't do it... For one thing you are commiting fraud with the local government. For the other, you now assume ALL responsibility for everything that happens during the project. Including having workers comp and insurance on everyone. And the project... Any contractor that told me that would not be my contractor very long.

He should include pulling the permits in his bid... Period.

You may want to look his license number up on the internet. Make sure he has one.... If not, he can't pull permits in your name... That may be why he wants you to do that. Or he may be planning on using another persons license and paying them $3000 to do it. Don't allow that to happen either. Bad news....

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have him pull the permit, the risk of construction liens is too great to mess with. Make sure he files a Notice of Commencement.

6. landsmasher

In California we don't file a notice of comencement... We file an intent to lien. However there should be an estimated time of completion on the contract.

I know you are probably in a hurry to start and that contractors are really busy these days but take your time in finding one. Check the references! Call previous customers and see how thier project went. There are a lot of people getting screwed out there these days and they are being screwed by LICENSED CONTRACTORS! Be carefull...

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I went and talked to the building department this morning and they will allow me to submit my plans now without any contractor information. A plan check is going to take 3 weeks /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Anyways...this particular contractor is actually someone I know, and I think he probably really is trying to save me some $$$. His bid came in at about $10K less than the others. I left him a message last night and said that I wasn't comfortable with putting myself as the owner/builder and that he would need to provide the information for the building permit. I guess we'll see what happens now /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. 502

502 1/2 ton status

Speaking of parties....let's get the show on the road! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif [​IMG]

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

From a former commercial super.-once structural plans are approved no substitution of materials is allowed without review of plans (at least in MO and KS). Have seen more contractors get in trouble over this issue than any other reason .

10. landsmasher

It's the same in CA. Once you have gone through plan check you have to build it that way unless you want to resubmit the plans and go through plan check again. Changes can cost you time and money. Make sure you are happy with the plans before you start to build.

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    BIG RED FLAGS!!!

Just ask the city if there is any difference in cost if a project is done with a general listed or you listed as the owner builder.

I would question if the General contractor has workman's comp or a license. Shouldn't be hard to find out. In my state there are only like 3 Workmans comp companies and you can check on insurance. When I built my house my contractors had to give the city proof of insurance. If the contractor does work for the city they may have copies on hand.

Sounds fishy to me!!

Good luck and happy hammering /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif