Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more details please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, Jan 16, 2004.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

I just got done reading the th350 to sm456 trany swap artical on the main page and it left me wondoring many things, like how did he deal with the linkage in the steering colume or where did he mount the slave cylinder, also that hole cross member thing left me woundering?

If some one could help me understand these thing better it would help because I would like to do that swap.

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

swap column out for a 4 speed column

slave cylinder will only mount to certain 85-up bellhousings

crossmembers they made a falt bottom one and a W-shaped one, but not W one til 81-up or so. but not all were W ones from then on, some were still flat bottom like the 465 208 ones.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

With the '78, don't think you will have to worry about crossmember issues. I didn't read the article, but I assume it is talking about the (at least) 3 different styles used on the '81-up trucks. I believe all the previous crossmembers were flat.

The earlier trucks, and "flat" '81-up crossmembers, use a "tall" adapter between the tranny/t-case. (this is what joins the two components, and where the "tranny" mount mounts them to the crossmember)

Since the flat crossmember is below the frame rail, or very near it, the adapter has to be "long" to reach it. On the later "W" and "stepped" crossmembers (stepped one is high on one side, dropped on the other) the tranny mount itself was moved up above the level of the earlier flat crossmembers...thus, GM shortened the adapter itself. I'd guess they cut the overall height of the adapter by half or so.

I tried bolting up an early crossmember to my '81 frame, but I can't recall if it was too wide or too narrow, but whatever, it didn't fit right. The same would probably go for an '81 crossmember on an earlier frame, but someone may have some direct experience with that.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what is a W crossmember? You mean when the member has a W shape at the side profile? If so my 84 K5 with 465 and 208 has that setup. My 89 Burban with 465 and 241 has the mentioned drop crossmember where one side is high and the other is low.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, the "W" one looks like it is setup to run dual exhaust as high as possible, (a hump on either side of the tranny mount) but still under the crossmember, but I think in reality both are "high" on the drivers side for the front driveshaft.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i put a 465 in my 74. slave mounted to my BH, but i had a factory hyd setup. you can buy an adaptor from advanced adaptors to go with the non hyd BH. one thing i didnt agree with on his swap is not using the correct pedal setup. its a bolt in deal, i think the mnoney should have been spent for it. a safer way in my eyes. i left my auto colum in. you can make it so the keys can t be take out and the truck cant be start4ed with the auto column on still. kind of a safety feature. oh as for x-member, i used my origonal ones, but i think they are defferent. i also went to 465-203 combo.
    grant