Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more electric fan questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by drifter, Sep 5, 2000.

1. drifter

drifter Registered Member

Has anyone ever installed a electric pusher fan on the outside of the radiator, and keep running the original fan on the inside? The weather has been very hot here and my blazer overheats very quickly. has new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and the timing is right. just thinking maybe this would bring the temp down a little. Thanks!

Life is grand in K-5 land![​IMG]

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've done that on other types of vehicles and it works great. I think you might have another problem with your truck though. With a good cooling system and a properly tuned engine, you shouldn't have much of a problem with just the stock fan. I live in a very hot climate too and do fine with just one fan.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Do you have a fan shroud? It is a very important part of the cooling system also. I once put a new engine in a 4x4, left off the shroud. Had cooling problems when hot weather came around. Put the shroud back on. No more problems.

[​IMG]
    Get Out and VOTE!

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>What size motor do you have, how many rows is the radiator, and what temperature is your thermostat (180degrees)? A stock sb350 should do fine with a 2 row radiator and a stock thermostat, however any motor modifications and or towing, I would recommend at least a 3 row radiator, if not a 4 row. You might want to try putting in a 160 degree thermostat that is a high flow and see if that helps or not. ( I know Autozone has the Robertshaw thermostats pretty cheap). Anyway the electric fan wouldn't hurt at low rpm's or idle, however it probably wouldn't help at highway speeds. One more thing, what about the fan clutch, does it seem to be OK? - Steve</font color=purple>
    http://www.sosamantx.coloradok5.com/

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

5. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

As you most likely read last week I installed a puller on my Jimmy and I can tell you that it does help running around in town or stuck in trafic. I ran it at 70 yesterday to my moms witch is about 35 miles away and it made no real differance. A pusher is good also you just need to change the polarity to make a fan a pusher or puller. Make sure that if you do this you know which one you have first because if you have a puller and mount it on the front side of the radiertor you will have created static air right at you radieator. This means that your regular fan is pulling the electric fan is pulling also and there is no air flow through the radieator. To fix this just reverse the wiring on the electric fan and now you would have a pusher. I learned the hard way several years ago.

Getsome

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Right now I am running a 2 core radiator, Flexfan, Shroud, stock pump and a 16" pusher fan. I have 14" fan that I will be installing also and a smaller 4core radiator. I will let you know how it works... Also I will be installing a external tranny cooler so that may bring the radiators temps down a little.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I run a 5 roe with to 14 inch pullers in there own shroud. the trany cooler is used to cool the power stearing flud. I run a stock revers rotaion water pump. There are also 2 10 inch fan theat are mounted as pushers to the a/c coils that only come on with the a/c or if the coolent goes over 210. I also run a 160 stat. on most 70 or 80 degre days it runs about 180 with the a/c off around town, on the highway it run about 170 and the fans go on and off. with the a/c on the fans stay on and it runs 185 to 190 around town, on the highway it runs 180

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a 16" fan and a 14" fan, is it better to have the bigger fan push or pull or doesn't it matter?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I dont have the foggyest I had to use the smaller as pushers do to room!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run only electric and it is the BlackMagic M150 by Flex-A-Lite. It is a puller and is rated at 2800cfm. My rig runs at 185 with the fan on going around town or in traffic. When the out side temp was 106 it whent up to 200 but never higher. I shut it off when on the hwy and I run at 185.
    I would recomend this fan to anyone with a smallblock that wants to eleminate the mecanical fan alltogether!
    Oh ya I also run Summit HighFlow waterpump, looks stock but has a higher flow rating.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com