Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More electrical problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Heres the deal, alarm turns on and off (chirps and locks doors) while driving. Replaced everything related to the alarm, wiring included, no crimps, all soldered. Replaced door switches and fuses. Replaced battery terminals. Checked ignition wiring, replaced any questionable wires. Replaced ignition switch. It is still going off. I hook my multimeter to the ignition circuit between the ignition switch and the alarm and ground to the frame. This seems to remedy the problem for the most part. It still goes off occasionally, and the multimeter will show an almost instantaneous drop to 0 voltage. The only idea I have left is a ground problem. Where does the ignition circuit or switch ground to? Any other ideas?
    Thanks
    Aaron

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

A good ground is a good ground. All the circuits in the truck have the same ground....the minus side of the battery. Try running a good wire straight to your battery minus for ground if you can't verify a good one on the dash. As far as +12 volts where are you getting that? An alarm usually connects to a constant "ON" 12 volts and only uses the ignition to provide a "running" signal. If that doesn't work throw the alarm away and get a big dog! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

The alarm has a direct connect to the battery as well as an inline connect to the ignition wire. This is how it knows when the truck is on/off. Its not 12 volts, its more like 13.5, until the alarm goes off, then it drops to zero for a split second. I have a couple more ideas, but I have lost all optimism.
    AW

4. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

The alarm has a direct connect to the battery as well as an inline connect to the ignition wire. This is how it knows when the truck is on/off. Its not 12 volts, its more like 13.5, until the alarm goes off, then it drops to zero for a split second. I have a couple more ideas, but I have lost all optimism.
    AW

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I like my idea...toss the alarm....OK can't have that many criminals..... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

This is truck no 4 in less than 2 years. I have had 1 totaled in my parking lot by kids driving a stolen car, one was stolen, and someone tried to steal my Camaro to the tune of 3000 in damages. Alarm stays
    AW

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Time to get a garage or MOVE /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I wish. I am at college, scholarships pay for me to stay on campus, not off, otherwise Id be long gone.
    Aaron

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

This sounds more like an alarm problem than a truck problem....have you talked to the alarm manufacturer? Maybe another alarm....sorry I can't think of much more than you have done....