Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More engine questions - intermittent dying

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Element, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Still trying to get some problems with the Blazer ironed out. '87 TBI 350 with about 87,000 miles on it.

New parts - cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, O2 sensor, air filter, alternator, and alt belt. Ran a can of Seafoam through the oil, and about half a can through the brake booster line to clean the engine out a bit.

Problem with the truck is that it intermittently dies when idling. It'll stumble a bit, and it seems like it's idling really low (no tach, so not sure exactly what it's at) and bogging. Right after it cuts out, it'll start back up; however, there's a pretty strong gas smell. I'm not sure if it could be a problem with something like the TPS (does a TBI engine have that?), or another sensor along those lines.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Any trouble codes?
    Bad idle can be caused by a number of things.
    Some of the most common are.
    TPS, Coolant temp sensor. Bad IAC motor. Bad EGR, Vaccum leaks, bad throttle body base gasket.

3. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

Can't check the trouble codes with the paperclip method, because the dash light is out. AutoZone can't scan OBD1 vehicles, so until I buy a scanner myself, can't check the codes.

I'm going to pull the TBI assembly off the intake this weekend and see if I can't clean it up some and check for any gunk buildup in the EGR, or on any of the sensors.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Fix the light. Your sure the light is out, and the ECM isn't just faulty?

5. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

A lot of the other stuff, like the high beam indicator, is also out, so I figure it's an issue with the dash circuit board or some dead light bulbs.

Put a new coolant temp sensor in yesterday, and pulled the EGR valve out and tried to clean it out a bit, just to see if that'd help before I drop $50 on something that won't make a difference.