Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more engine questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 14, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How many bolts should there be holding the tranny to the engine? I got 4 little ones (7/16 heads) from that thin metal thing covering the torquecconverter, and there was only ONE tight bolt holding the tranny to the engine, the rest were half way out. And there were only 2 more. How many is there suposed to be?

2. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

on a sbc there should bebellhousing to block bolts!

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think that's what I am talking about. There were only 3 though. All unbolted now.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

There are six bolts on most chevy bellhousings--a few I have seen 7 bolts--some motors have one in the top center of the bell,some dont. Many of the trucks I've swapped motor in have had more than a few bolts loose or missing--usually the hardest ones to get at--isn't that a coincidence?? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    I had a 75 2wd blazer years ago--when I tried to pull the 3 speed tranny out to install a new clutch,it wouldnt budge--I had taken all 4 bolts out of the tranny to bellhousing,but even prying with a crowbar it would not come out.My older brother,who worked at many GM dealerships as a tech told me too look again at the tranny--sure enough,there was 1 more bolt in the top still in--the Tremec 3 speeds have 5 bolts holding the tranny to the bellhousing--good thing I didnt pry TOO hard! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Can I order new bolts, or how do I get the rest? I only have 3 out of 6/7.
    Luckily I have the body off, so all the bolts where easy to see and get out /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they are just a 3/8"x1.25" corse bolt that you can get at most hardware stores.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay that sounds easy enough. Thanks