Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Exhaust Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JEBSR, Jul 17, 2005.

1. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I know this is a common problem but I can't seem to help this no matter what. When I bough my blazer it had stock exhaust manifolds with smog pump etc except no converter with pipes exiting between rear tire and bumper at a 90* angle. If any window was down I smelled like I had fell in the fuel tank. Since then I have changed the exit area 3 times and no help. I now have a TBI 350 with headers, 2 1/4" pipe and flowmaster 40's. Had them exiting behind rear wheel at a 90, at a 90 facing downward 20*, dumped downward just in front of rearend, and dumped just behind transfer. Even with back window rolled up if I let my drivers window down will be seeing double within 20 miles. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Going to have a new exhaust system made this week or next to raise the exhaust out of harms way so please give me any input you have as to how to have the pipes exit as to help kill some fumes.

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The pipes should exit behind the rr tires at a 45 degree angle.....
    blazers with their tall square back create a low pressure area behind the truck and will pull exhaust fumes in the cab with the back window rolled down even with the most carefully designed exhaust.

The 45 degree angle should help by using the wind to create a vacuum inside the pipes (venturi effect)....hope this helps :wink1:

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM also used a partial 45* cut on the underside of the pipe exit to make the exhaust exit down.

Stock exit was 90* to the side of the truck, but that could be ease of manufacture/install, whatever, as opposed to being totally functional.