Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More fox body stuff

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by tRustyK5, Mar 27, 2006.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We have an 86 Mustang GT that is going to be done from the ground up probably sooner than later. It was bought by my wife brand new, we traded it in in 2000 and and 'friend' of hers found out where we traded it in and bought it. He wrecked the car 9 months later and we bought it back from him. It needs a new shell IMO, the current body is pretty tweaked.

It was a low mile car, and it was pretty quick for stock but I want it to be much faster when it's done. When we first owned it it was a DD, but after it's done I'd like it to be more of a toy for both of us.

So, I really don't know a ton about Mustangs...more precisely the aftermarket stuff and the little things that make them a lot quicker. It has an AOD right now which I'm not fond of, but the car has to remain an auto.

Is a 347 stroker something to consider? What tranny options do we have? I do recall seeing someone who had swapped in a 700R-4 behind their 5.0...:eek1:

I want to stay with an OD auto in any case. It has a tight posi right now and I think could use some deeper gears. Is 4.11 too deep?

Help me plan the build, keeping in mind i haven't recently won the lottery. I will have a bit of money to throw at this because it's a bit of a long term project though...

Rene

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know a guy with a turbocharged 347 who runs an AOD, what do you dislike about it? I'd probably build that trans over any other option for it(but I'm probably only slightly more knowledgable about 5.0s than you, if at all really). 4.11s would be way too deep IMO. My sister's car has 3.73s and those feel perfect for that car(5 speed), haven't topped it out yet and I've made the speedo hit 125 before...

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

4.11s will be perfict for an AOD 3.73s are good for a T5 But the ratios in a AOD are just made for 4.11s. Forget the 700. AOD and 700 are pretty much similar in strength. 700 are a little stronger and have a lower 1st. But you can build a AOD too.
    347 stroker....... DROOL......... Yes But plan on some EEC work to get it to run right Or you can get a TWEECER and do your own programing.
    Fox Stangs are too much fun to build. They dont weigh anything and go like hell.
    Feel free to PM me with questions. I love Fox Chassis Stangs and know a little about this and that.
    Or put the questions out here for everybody to talk about. I have always said CK5needs a Mustang forum:D

4. tRustyK5

My only worry is making the car too scary for the wife. It is her car after all...lol. Maybe I just won't tell her it's gonna be a 347 stroker.

So, first real question i guess is what heads would be best for a 347?

Anyone have a fave fox body site where I can do some research? I'll be doing the whole 'aquiring parts' thing for a while before the build really starts.

Rene

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

6. tRustyK5

Thanks Dale!!

Signed up on 4 eyed pride as 86GTproject (original huh?)

Rene

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like a parts car to me. Late 80's / early 90's Mustanges can be had fairly cheap, if the body is twisted/tweeked, I'd consitter it a parts car. A buddy has a 89 5.0 convertable stang that's alot of fun. Joe stayed with a 302, but it fot majorily built. Lite weight steel crank and rods, forged pistons, aftermarket heads, and a underhood supercharger !!!!!

8. tRustyK5

Technically it will be a parts car, it'll be supplying about 90% of everything to another shell...

Surely you've had a vehicle that had sentimental value Paul? My father in law helped my wife buy this car when new as well as drove it a few times. He died a few years later and my wife would very much prefer to keep as much of the car as possible. Those were good memories of her father...

Rene

9. tRustyK5

Damage pic's of the '86 :doah:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice how the hatch is completely shifted over. The hinges aren't broken...

This is the 'bad IMO. Proof that the body is pretty tweaked. This is the drivers side which hit nothing and has never been hit.

[​IMG]

Another view...

[​IMG]

The wrinkle, crease over the rear wheelwell tells the story, the whole rear part of the car is pushed over...although it still drives and tracks normally. :screwy:

Rene

10. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hell ive seen cars come back from worse than that...

how bout this, a 351 swap??

some AFR heads, custom cam and EFI or carb...your choice.

all you need for the swap is a oilpan, motor mounts and some ignition stuff.

i had a Tremec TK600 in my 95...tranny will hold 600hp no problem, and is only marginally more than a stocker t-5

11. tRustyK5

This car is an auto (AOD) and will stay that way. It's my wife's and she doesn't drive manual at all...

The drivetrain is still good, although I think I'll freshen it up at the least, maybe add a few go fast parts. Would very much prefer to stay with the FI. Been considering swapping to the pistons with reliefs cut in em and maybe some Brodix heads. Intake and cam I haven't researched much. From what I understand the big choke point on the 86 5.0's is the heads, and with the flat tops you pretty much can't run any other heads...

Rene

12. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if i was you id simply refresh the motor with bearings and pistons with notches, stay away from the Brodix Heads, as they are not a good head for a mild combo, also if you were to do a Mass air conversion you would pick up drivability and power and wouldent have a issue with any aftermarket cam.

the intake is also a choke on the E6 headed 302.

13. tRustyK5

Good info, thanks!

Rene