Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more fuel injection q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PeteH, Aug 6, 2004.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

more fuel injection q\'s

correct me if i'm wrong but i heard mpfi was better than tpi for hp, torq and mpg. summit had edelb proflo($2080), accel street ram($3200), and holley's stealth ram(2290) and commander mpi(2300). accel's not mpfi but holley is.

the proflo is sequential/mpfi, has speed density and is the cheapest out of all of them... sounds the best to me.but why is it the cheapest?

i do like ram style's because of snorkle attatchment ease, but accel isnt mpfi and holly is, except it dosent have speed density(or could you change it?)

But..In the end does it really matter? mpfi gets better gas milage, sequential also better mileage, ram styles get better top end torque (i think), tpi better gass milaege and blah..

so would the torque, hp or even mpg gains be worth all that moola or does the $6-700 build with old tpi stuff off a vette or camaro outway the others with its half-the-price-deal?

whats your guy's opinions on them?

i have a 383 and thinking bout fi down the road. right now wyoming's alltitude change from cali'sea level isnt going to improve my mileage/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: more fuel injection q\'s

TPI is an MPFI. It is not sequential FI but it is MPFI. One injector per cylinder.

I run a TPI off a 88 Firebird on my 350. I love it. I will be putting this TPI on my 383 after the 350 dies.

If you have the money to do an expensive MPFI system then maybe go ahead and do it but for the budget minded older TPI setups are the route to go. I have about $1200 wrapped up in mine with a spare fuel pump, VSS, etc. I bought my system in really good shape though. It also came with an aftermarket harness which I HIGHLY recommend getting. The stock harness is a scary scary thing.

Harley

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't get wrapped up in the sequential vs. batch fire (TPI) setups. Amazingly, the difference is extremely small, something like 5HP better for the sequential systems.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The most inexpensive way is to get it off a 3rd gen camaro/firebird.