Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More fun with the stealership

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Sep 29, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Went to the local Chevy stealership (Bozarth Chevrolet) because my wife was complaining that the door locks were not working on her '99 Tahoe, and the back door would not stay open. After an $85 "diagnostic" they tell me two acuators are out ($700) and the "check strap" needs replaced ($150) the actuators are $30 on e-bay (new) and $65 there and the check strap is $22. I tell them to go eat a d*ck and decide I'll buy the parts and do it myself.

So we go down to Delta (little town of 20K about 40 mi. south) and decide to talk to the Chevy guys there (Phillips Chevrolet). They immediately give us a loaner car (no one does that anymore) and run diagnostic while we go to a Dr. appointment.

We get back and they tell us that:

A: there is no way Bozarth could have diagnosed the actuators off a comp. diagnostic

B: they tested the actuators themselves and we need 3 not 2, but their charge is only $430

C: the check strap takes less than 5 min. to install and they will just do it while replacing the actuators and only charge for the part (Bozarth claimed this was a 2 hour repair according to the almighty "book") :rolleyes:

D: they say we don't even have to pay for the diagnostic since the computer didn't find it anyway.

So we get one dealer saying $850 and another in the next town saying $452, for repairs of a greater extent. :confused:

I knew when I walked into Bozarth and saw all those shiny awards on the wall that Chevy gives out for putting the maximum ass-pounding on the customer that they were not who I wanted to deal with, but come on, that much disparity between the two?

I guess the little guy dealership will be getting my business from now on and Bozarth can go sh*t in their hats.

Anyway, I guess that's it for my rant.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Stealership, I like that...

Would it have been worth it to save the couple hundred and do it yourself anyway?
    And why did 3 go bad at the same time?? Possible system problem burning them out or something? Might be something to investigate further before the new ones burn out, too.

But then again, my tech is pretty fuzzy.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

:haha: Thanks Dave, I got my laugh of the day.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You know, they did not say what the possible reason was for them failing. My thought was a little blonde gremlin constantly clicking them anytime she could get her grubby little hands on the key fob. :rolleyes:

My tech is probably way more fuzzy than yours brother, so I'm better off letting them do it, especially electrical.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: I forgot about the gremlins...