Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More good PC crap!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

NHL to Pull Team 'Sniper' Caps

.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - The NHL is planning to stop selling team hats known as ``Sniper Caps'' because of the deadly shootings in the Washington, D.C., area.

In hockey lingo, a ``sniper'' refers to a team's top goal scorer. But with a real life sniper still on the loose in their region, the Washington Capitals asked the league to remove the reference to the word from the team hat sold on the NHL's online store.

The Web site listed for sale a Washington Capitals ``Navy Sniper Fitted Cap.'' Such hats were offered for all 30 teams.

``The term is part of the hockey vernacular,'' NHL spokesman Brian Walker said Thursday. ``Fans and media use it to refer to a top goal-scorer. That being said, it's been pulled from the Capitals' team store, and is in the process of being pulled from the other 29 NHL teams' stores.''

The Capitals promised to get the name changed after hearing about the product's name.

``Certainly, that phrase has a little bit different connotation in our market,'' said Capitals spokesman Kurt Kehl, who was alerted to the presence of the sniper caps on the Web site by The Associated Press. After speaking with NHL representatives, Kehl explained the real meaning of the caps' name.

``Apparently, it was meant to play on the phraseology of a very good player in the NHL being referred to as a 'sniper' or a 'sharpshooter.' Every team has their `sniper,''' Kehl said. ``That's how they came up with this phrase for this line of hats.''

The Pittsburgh Penguins had a ``Black Sniper Fitted Cap.'' The Colorado Avalanche had one in blue. Fans of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks could buy a purple version of the sniper fitted cap.

Since Oct. 2, the sniper has shot to death nine people and wounded two others in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. The killer has eluded a massive manhunt.

Several people on the streets of downtown Washington who were shown the Web page with the sniper hat were shocked.

``For right now it's kind of horrible and disrespecting the people who lost their lives, and I hope that they do change it,'' Elnur Veliev said.

``I guess it's probably a good idea to take it off, because right away I think of the sniper guy going around shooting,'' said Richard Nishimura, who described himself as a hockey fan.

Associated Press Writer Candace Smith contributed to this report.

10/17/02 20:30 EDT

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

They need to drop the drama and call the guy a SHOOTER or serial killer. He may be a sniper, but in my mind, when I hear sniper in reference to this current event, I think of a guy dressed and painted in cammo, sitting in a tree, picking off viet cong, or a guy in a suit aiming at the president's helicopter from a hotel room.
    Calling a serial killer a sniper because his current method is to use a rifle is like trying to prep us for the TV movie. Choosing words that carry war-movie drama to regular citizens to over-accent the point.

At least I don't need to rename my breakfast to "crunchy stuff with milk", since the term "serial killer" isn't striking fear into the hearts of anyone, or disrespecting any victims.

Bah, I'm getting all pissed off thinking of how much nicer the world might be if news were reported instead of raped.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well, to venture off the point a little bit, what do you think it's terrorists?

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I think it is, but my parents dont. but by the way he is wreaking havoc over the DC area it sure seems like it because everyone is being "terrorized" and being forced to alter their routine in order to feel safe.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm sure it's possible, but personally I don't think it is organized terrorists. It isn't big enough, terrorists want us to be afraid at every moment during a crisis period that something will hit us from outta the blue and we should all be scared; this is restricted to that geographic area, not the whole nation. It's large, but only because it's getting so much coverage, not because it's a large event.

I think the next wave of terror will be completely unexpected by the public and will be harder to stop. Like a nuke in New York city or something, can't stop that after it's gone off, and at the point the entire country craps a brick because you'd only have to be remotely NEAR a major city to die. That's what I think terrorists want, as efficient dealing out of death as possible, with as little expenditure as possible, and the major side effect of fear by survivors.

You gonna call me on the edit here Bubba?

6. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

wow, i think thats lame of them, i wonder if they are going to make a cap with R.I.P and the death list on it too? thats so sad. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You gonna call me on the edit here Bubba?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope, cause I'd expect an intelligent reply from ya. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks Bubba!