Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More header questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anjieandjohn, Jul 28, 2005.

1. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

Ok...now that we have had a bunch of header questions already today, I will add another. I was driving up around DC and Baltimore this weekend on the interstate and due to the ungodly roads there, my exhaust took a beating. Needless to say, it gave me a reason to replace my system. I want to replace the manifolds with headers. Based on the threads I have read here, it seems to help the engine breath a little better. My question is what happens with all the emmission stuff like the AIR pump and the rest of the stuff connected to the stock exhaust manifolds? I know they have to come off. I'm not worried about the emmissions aspect...we dont have to have it tested yet here in VA Beach.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You don't always have to remove the emissions, headers can typically be had in "legal" configurations.

If you think you'll be tested in the future, it is far better to leave the emissions stuff in place than to try and replace it later, ask anyone that's had to.

3. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

agreed, and i would suggest Hedman headers as the quality is far superior to Hooker........ :bow:

4. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Have you had any problems with blowing manifold gaskets or dougnuts since you installed headers? :confused:

5. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

I have looked at Hedman and Hooker...I dont forsee any testing coming up for this area but when I retire in a few years, I will be heading up towards Chicago and Kenosha, WI and they require emissions testing in Kenosha. With the emissions "version" of the headers, is the performance hampered?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The emissions stuff in the first place doesn't hamper performance enough to make their removal worthwhile solely for that reason, so using headers that allow the emissions to remain in place doesn't hurt performance.

One thing I will say about headers. It depends on what you use the truck for, as to what is going to work best for you. My Hedman's hang down below the front spring a bit, and many that wheel their trucks say that is unacceptable, which is understandable. Me, I'll never hit, so it's not an issue. I'd hate to have you think that all of them are going to fit the same though, then buy some only to find you hate the way they fit.

My Hedman Elites are real good as far as leaks, fit, and plug access. The ball/socket setup (instead of the leak prone flat flange most use) on the elites is superior, and the flange thickness (where they mate to the head) is also very good, which helps reduce bolts backing out, etc. I'm not using locking bolts at that location, and they haven't loosened up on me.

Only plug I can't use a socket on is #5, and I can still get a regular wrench on that one.

Fit was very good, hydraulic clutch posed no issue. Had to bend them out of the way of the shackle bolts just a bit, but that's pretty minor compared to some.

One other thing to consider is rust. I would suspect that rust is going to be a major concern for you, so I'd get some opinions on what has worked back east for folks and lasted. I suspect a non-coated header is a death sentence back there.

7. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

www.stansheaders.com best headers I have ever seen/used THICK flanges, ballsocket collecters. NO LEAKY-EVER

8. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Absolutely, i could not keep gaskets on it until i switched to copper which expands with the flange, still gotta keep an eye on the bolts as they will loosen with time.

The Hooker Comp's have a 2.5" collector which i was unaware of beforehand,
    my engine needs a 3" collector so i am switching to Hedmans and adding around 20" to the collectors before tapering down to 2.5" which is what the system is composed of now. :bow:

9. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

No, all things being equal the headers and a "properly tuned" exhaust system will increase performance and mileage even with the emissions intact.

However due to the increased scavenging that a tuned exhaust provides the fuel mixture will most likely have to adjusted, especially if the mixture is already on the lean side. :bow: