Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more help needed please...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Apr 14, 2002.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok just did the fuel pump today and drove it around the block and about 3/4 around the block it dies ( I just thought it was maybe an air pocket from the new lines and pump) so just now I went to move the blazer around in the drive way and started it and ran about 40 sec and then it started to go down in idle (with foot on pedal) gave more gas and it just flat out died started again and the same thing..When it dies you can give it more and less pedal to keep going then it just dies.I got it running enuff to move it over in the drive and as moving it just died with it in gear and running- Is there any switches that can shut power off ( it feels like the power is shutting off not running out of gas- the only filter besides the carb filter is the crappy glass one I took off the stock one today ) I have the msd-off road ign. if that helps ,I really dont want or have the funds to take her to the dhop but I think I have had it with it for now...Any thoughts would be greatly thankfull for...mike

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Vacuum leak?

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

All new hoses last week...keep em coming...Thakyou k30

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If all you did was a pump, and I am assuming its a mechanical, you may have tweaked the hard line enuff to make it vapor lock when hot. Does it do it cold or when warmed up.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You replaced the mechanical pump? Did you buy an el cheapo replacement pump? Sometimes those suckers are bad right from the reman shop.

You may have also lodged a piece of junk in the needle/seat of the carb when you took the old pump off and put the new one on. It kinda sounds like a stuck needle problem........

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check your fuel line all the way back to the tank. There may be a small hole in it and it is sucking air instead of gas. It only takes a little pin hole to cause problems.

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ya only the mechanical pump and the glass filter is semi full 7/8 when it does die.and only on start up now ..Havent got to drive it to warm up yet...It is the acdelco high dollor pump not the cheapies.and I replace the hardline about 1" out of the pump with rubber line..Is it hard to check the jets on a q-jet..It isnt stock for my 73 but a jet q-jet just rebuilt...mike P.S nothing in the glass filter like crud or dirt it is clean...

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i bet it is in the carb mine did the same thing or wouldnt run at all after i had jet rebuib my carb , dirt in it reall bad from somewhere u are gonna have to take it apart or send it back , the way they peen the housing around the power valve made mine stick but i fixed it i guess it runs now ...

9. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

What kinda rubber line did you use? Could it be weak enough to partially collapse and shut off the fuel flow?

10. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Clogged fuel line (from tank to pump)? Happened to me when I first got my truck.

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well just to let all know that the rubber fuel line was kinked I had put about an extra 1 1/2" in the line that goes from the hard line to the pump and that caused the "kink" and thus causeing the problem...SO A BIG THANKS TO ALL...mike

12. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

what kind of carb are you running and how is your choke on it.
    Colin

13. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have a stage 2 q-jet from JET and it seems to work now(electric choke)

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do you like the carb? I am thinkin about a stage 2 qjet next time my qjet goes out. Does it work well for you? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Harley

15. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I like it.. I have had some probs but it hasn't been the carb ( things like vac leaks )that I have had to fix the new carb just brought them to my attention.. The 2 carbs side by side, my old 73 QJET and the stage 2 JET one is like night and day My only mistake was when I was looking and ordered from summit I didnt know there was a "truck 800cfm"Part # 36000-2 and I had ordered the 35000-2 stage 2 750cfm it said that it was for cars and light trucks but the 800 was not and isn't in the summit catalog but I found it in the jegs and then I went HEYYYYYYYY.....But yes it was worth the money for me the throttle response is really really good compared to stock (you can tell) ....mike