Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More horsepower

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudandproud, Jun 28, 2000.

1. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

What are some not too difficult ways and not too expensive ways to get more horsepower from my blazer's 305.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>What year is it? Certain things that are cheap for older trucks can be expensive for newer ones. i would start with the exhaust. A good set of headers, high-flow pipes and good muflers can bring out a lot of power</font color=blue>

3. loudandproud

Its an '85 Blazer. I am going to put headers on it soon, and I already have dual exaust on it.

<font color=red>Thanks</font color=red> [​IMG]

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

a pair of headers, dual exhaust, nice mufflers, an aftermarket dual plane manifold, ignition upgrade.
    not too much money and very nice results.

Knife.

5. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

put a 350 in it or better yet a 454 or hay a 502 I know it is not cheap or easy but it is the right way to go form what I have read and seen for a K5 you need alot more that a 305

[​IMG]Go prepared

6. loudandproud

I want to put a 454 in it, but then I'd need to get a new trany too. I don't quite have enough money for that right now, but I am saving for one.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Get an MSD ingition(sp?) they're great. A K&N air filter will help some but not much. Also get better gears.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

8. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I've got a 350 auto behind my 454 and havn't had any problems yet. I've owned the rig for almost 2 years now. I've got a stock 454, I believe there's a couple other guys with big blocks, or hi-perf small blocks that use a 350 as well.

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

9. J.R.

J.R. Guest

my 85 had the 305 in it,the first thing i did was get rid of the factory ignition.i put the msd 8360 dist.with the blaster 2 coil and the 6t box.thats there off road box,same as the 6a.just by doing that i got better mpg,it started better,and it even had more get-up and go to it.the msd isnt cheap.but i think its the best upgrade you can do for any motor.infact i run msd on all my motors.

BIGBLOCK MAN

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I can't get my k5 to stop burning rich...if i put in a msd dist with a blaster 2 coil and the 6t box would it burn more of my air/fuel mixture?

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

11. loudandproud

I was wondering how you can tell if your burning rich?

12. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

just remember to gap your plug wider if you run the MSD.

13. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

I agree with the previous posts. Get a good intake, such as Edelbrock Performer, follow up with a good carb (Edelbrock 600) and headers. Along with a good airfilter and the dual exhaust you alreday got, you´ve done as much as you can to get your 305 breathing without messing with the heads. Another thing that gets your engine going is a new cam, but as you probably know you´ll have to lift your engine out of the car...well, you could probably tear your front apart but that´s just a bigger pain in the @ss than lifting the thing out....what else?...hmm[​IMG]....well, you could always install roller rockerarms. They free up friction and improve valve "movement". If you get roller rocker arms with a slightly higher ratio than stock (1.6 vs. 1.5) you get more lift, which is a good thing when building torque. Wait !A double roller timing chain is a good thing. They last forever and never stretch (well..). Converting to electrical fuelpump and fan frees up a few hp. Of course this leaves you with a shopping list from h*ll[​IMG] Start with a new intake ! A 305 can be built to 250-270 good horsies without digging a endless hole in your wallet (and staying with the stock torque converter[​IMG]) The questions is, do you REALLY want to?[​IMG] Was this post to long ??...[​IMG]

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

14. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My spark plugs get clogged about every 2 or 3 weeks with carbon. My exhaust smells funky. (No its not burning oil) and my mpg is like 7 on the highway. Something sounds sh%#& about my 82 Jimmy....

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy