Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More HP from my 6.2L Diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2L84K5, Apr 23, 2003.

1. 6.2L84K5

6.2L84K5 Newbie

I have a 1984 K5 Blazer with the 6.2L Diesel in it. I bought it mainly for hunting and such, but not running it off-road all the time. I just need more power from it. Is there any possible way I can accomplish this without swapping it over to a gas burner? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

SEARCH like a madman. There's been about 45 Billion posts on this topic.
    To recap:
    1. Get a turbo from Banks
    2. If it's a "C" engine, Get a J intake for it, no EGR.
    3. 6.5 Heads
    4. Turn up the pump
    5. Propane, Baby!

Don't ever come in this forum and say anything about converting to Gas...we've been known to lynch people for things like that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The 6.2 is a dog, we all know it, but it'll pull all day long on the same tank of fuel. Do the search, there's really been a lot of discussion about this topic.
    But eveyone here will answer your questions anyway, cuz we're cool like that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    I really don,t know if i have done right getting a Diesel.I only runs with it the weekends,and i do,nt know what is the mileage on a Gas engine ,a 350 TBI for example...But this thing is a corpse for be a 379 c.i.
    I,m very happy with it ,but i,m a little "depressed" since i discovered it only has 130 HP...
    However it runs great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 4x4dreamer

It's all about the Torque. You may have really bad gearing. I think mine is 3.73 and it moves okay for bone stock. there are some little things you can do like plugging the EGR line and turning up the pump, that will free up some power. Another simple thing is to put in an exhaust crossover pipe. You won't get near Gasser power out of a stock 6.2, but you'll get 2 to 3 times the mileage and the bottom end power is great. I was discouraged at first but have really grown to love my 6.2 to the point where I'll never put a gasser in my truck.

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where are you located (hint - put a little more info in your profile please - maybe location plus whatever else you feel comfortable with).

Most initial power upgrades start with removing intake and exhaust restrictions. Intake - open up the factory water trap setup, maybe aftermarket airfilter. Exhaust - bigger exhaust system - less restrictive components. Some people adjust the pump for more fuel. Change the intake to a "J" code. ( even the "J" heads if you want). If you are really interested in these kind of mods I would suggest an investment in joining www.thedieselpage.com

6. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

I don,t know what Gear ratio i have /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif but mine runs good with 33x12.50.It is a little corpse for climbing hills,but i can do a normal driving(+/-) with it.And here in Europe we have a lot of closed curves and we go very fast on the road.I only say,that i tink 130 hp is a poor power for a 379 c.i.
    We have in home a 91´Mercedes 300 Diesel(NA not turbo),and it has 110 hp with 184 c.i six cilinder engine.
    Of course it reachs more than 5000 rpm.and it is a lot elastic than the GM 6.2.

However,how can i do to know what is my gear ratios?Has the truck some code for indentificate it?
    Thanks.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    We have in home a 91´Mercedes 300 Diesel(NA not turbo),and it has 110 hp with 184 c.i six cilinder engine.
    Of course it reachs more than 5000 rpm.and it is a lot elastic than the GM 6.2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horsepower is a function of torque and rpm's. A 130 horsepower engine that only spins 3600 rpm has much more torque than one half it's size that spins 5000 rpm. Most Japanese cars have poor low end torque but great hp numbers because they can spin to 6500 or more rpm. I'd wager the Mercedes is probably lighter and more suitably geared due to the higher redline.

The 6.2 isn't spectacularly underpowered for it's size, but GM's thinking was outright economy so they usually got poor gearing which made them slower than necessary.

The best way to find your gear ratio is to pull the cover off of your rear end. The ratio numbers are stamped on the edge of the big ring gear. You may have to rotate it a little to find them. There are quite a few numbers stamped there, the first series of numbers is the part number, the next group is the ratio (11:41, 12:41 etc etc) and the last numbers are the build date (9 84 for example)

The rear end could probably use a service anyways. Get some Brake Cleaner in a spray can and a couple of litres of gear lube while you're at it. The Brake Clkeaner is used to clean the gunky residue inside the housing before you put the cover back on. All you need for the cover is a scaper to clean the gasket surface and some RTV silicone to make a new gasket. It's an easy job that gets very overlooked.

Rene

8. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Woopss! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    I,ve just changed the rear axle oil two weeks ago!
    If i would know this before to put the cover with the sealant...
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    If my curiosity persists,i,ll back to remove the axle cover... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Another thing to consider with your 6.2 is the altitude that you live at. If your up in the mountains definitly go with a turbo /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    No i don,t live in the mountains,however to get a Banks kit here in Spain would be a ruin.
    Apart i don,t trust very much in the Turbo kits for NA engines.I,ve seen NA engines with blowed pistons after to install a Turbo unit on it.
    However,how many horses really gives a Turbo kit in a 6.2 engine?
    I think, onetime i saw a Bank´s graphic and the 6.2 with Turbo gaves 200 hp or so.I think these are very optimist numbers... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Propane injection...

Might see more benefit from it after the turbo though /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. K5Blazed

K5Blazed Registered Member

I was actually thinking about propane injection for my k5. Does anyone have any information or suggestions for propane setups on 6.2s?

13. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Doesnt work unless you have a turbo. You need something to force the propane in the cylinder, not just let itself drift into the cylinder. Also, you need the extra air a turbo gives to get all the added hp and torque claims that people make when they add propane. Without more air, the propane is not getting used to its full potential.

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

The figures after you add the turbo are suppose to be 207hp and 400ft/lbs. The difference is comparable to night and day from the people that I have talked to. I read an article by Jim Bigley (the creator of The Diesel Page) that said you should be able to turbo a HEALTHY high mileage 6.2 with no problems other than the rear main seal. Just passing on what I have heard as I have no first hand experience. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

15. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Yes,i have the 4Wheeling magazine where cames the Banks installation on a 6.2 Blazer article.I also know Jim Bigley,i have been a Diesel Page forum member.
    I ,ve read years ago in this forum a few comments from people wich had driven the 6.2 with the Banks Turbo,and they said that it was incredible how rans that thing.I,m sure it must be true.
    But for gain more than 60 hp,this turbo has to blows like an autentic hurricane!I think 60 Hp is too much power for a Diesel only installing a Turbo-Kit,and if these engines really gains these Hps it,s cause they,ll works under a lot of pressure.
    Obviously,the people wich has the Banks installed in his trucks milles&years ago and the big Diesel gurus like J.Bigley,must to know it beter than me .
    It,s only a surmise. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. 4x4dreamer

The banks does pack on a few HP, but the big difference is the Torque numbers, which is where trucks really need the power. It gets right around 400 Lb/FT of torque with the Banks on. That's a monsterous amount, granted, it's not a Cummings, or a Duramax, but taking a k-5 offroad with 400 lb/ft...fuhgeddaboudit!! You'll own anything you want to crawl over..and I mean CRAWL. TRusty reports AWESOME crawling with a stock 6.2...it just boggles my mind. I can't wait to get my Banks.

17. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

yeah! crawling with a 6.2 is a blast... the thing just won't stop. Its got to be even more fun with a turbo /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Yes ,the torque increase is much more beast than the power,and the torque is the more important thing on an engine.A 6.2 Banks Turbo must to be an autentic machine .

I only said for getting these results the engine must to be super-squeezed.And don,t forgett this is an NA engine without the lubrication sistem,compresión ratio,cooler sistems etc etc wich has an original Turbodiesel engine.
    But if the people wich has these turbos in his trucks says it goes fine...It,s a good thing /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Only a question:
    What is a good price for a new Banks kit?I don,t remember exactly how many $ it costed....

Thanks.

19. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

well $1650us if you still have your TDP membership. And that's the whole kit including exhaust and all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buying from who - to get the 1650 price??