Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Hydro Assist mounting questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigjohnintexas, Oct 17, 2003.

1. bigjohnintexas

bigjohnintexas Registered Member

Steve,
    have you had good luck with the mounting of your assist ram to the rock ring? I was thinking of doing the same thing, or instead of the rock ring, buying a Blue Torch Fabworks D60 front cover and welding some plate to the top portion along with mounting ears for the ram. I might not even need to add plate to the cover as beefy as everyone says they are. If anyone has done this or has seen it done, please let me know how it worked out. Thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I haven't done it, but my 2 cents is that the blue torch cover is beefy for things like banging on rocks, I don't think that that big of a peice of 1/4" plate is the ideal mounting point for the ram. If you're going to do it I would reinforce a section before you weld the tabs on.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed... hydro rams can create an incredible amount of force... I'd reinforce that cover. I think the best approach would be to form/weld some 1/4" on to the cover that ran sorta like a horizontal rock ring... the force from the ram is gonna be side to side...

j

4. bigjohnintexas

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking it best to reinforce the cover if I got one with some plate like both of you mentioned, but Steve Fox mounted his ram on to a 1/4" thick rock ring, the same thickness as the Blue Torch cover I believe. I wondered how that worked out. I guess it really doesn't matter because it wouldn't take very long to cut some pieces of 1/4" plate and weld them on to the cover as reinforcement. Have either of you seen one of these covers in person? My only experience with them is pics.

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

There are no strength issues with my setup but the cover does leak due to the bolts allways being loose, I plan to bild a bracket off the axle tube and just switch the ram around.

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Have either of you seen one of these covers in person? My only experience with them is pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of these covers waiting to go on my front D60 when it gets finished being rebuilt. I'm also going hy-steer hydro assist and I just plan on welding the mounting tabs directly to the cover. It is a very beefy cover. If it breaks it, which I doubt, then I will reinforce it with some more 1/4" strapping. It's probably going to be awhile before my chit see's the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I noticed you are from East Texas, if your close to Longview your more than welcome to come by and look at the cover in person. Just let me know and I will pm you with my number. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

7. bigjohnintexas

Eric,
    I live in Nacogdoches. I'm coming to Longview next week to buy one of those pipe benders Harbor Freight has half off. I would love to check out the cover. PM me and we'll get together. Thanks

John