Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Jethro-Bilt 14b covers... PIcs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Unfinished pics cause I ran out of welding wire. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what the old one looks like. Just shaped slightly different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Cool, I remember growing up my Mom used to have one of those to bake cakes in, yummy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Zeus33rd

haha! I think you are actually the second person to say that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

WOW how thick of plate are you using?

Looks very BEEFY. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Jethro can u make one for a 10bolt also

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

It appears the new one you are making now is deeper than the original one, correct?

How much does that new one weigh? It looks like it could be around 25-ish lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Finally, send me a PM to give me a price and shipping quote for you to make me one. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

very impressive /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wow! Are you trying to lighten the front end by hanging extra weight behind the rear axle? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

DAMN!! Put that thing on with Grade 8's and put a bottlejack under it, and you could probably jack the whole ass-end of your truck up with that!

Looks good, though. I like it.

10. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

damn dude those are some clean ass welds. are you using gas or flux core? those things are bad ass /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Joe is a pro welder, when you weld for 10 hours a day ya get good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font>

12. Zeus33rd

The new one is deeper, by about 1/2". More gear lube capacity. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I can get an exact measurement tommorrow if ya want./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just weighed the new one- It weighs in at 26.5lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Made from 3/8" and 1/2" material. The reason the 1/2" material is in there is cause thats all I could get on that particular Saturday. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Future covers will be entirely made from 3/8". Welded with .035 solid wire and 75/25 "Gold Gas" mix in a Lincoln PowerMIG 200.

I could make one for a 10 bolt I suppose...But I don't have a 10 bolt housing to fit them up to. And I'm not gonna buy one. 10 bolts suck. hehe /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

And Wes, I'll pm ya shortly with the info you want. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

And thanks for the compliments on my welds. I've now gotten to a point where I don't really have to try anymore. lol, Starting to get a bit boring. It's all good though, TIG welding at work is definatley not boring. TIG welding is sooooo much more intricate and involved. I could spend the same about of years TIG welding as I have with other types of welding, and not come anywhere close to the same knowledge. Only been really TIG welding for about 6 months now...And to add more confusing to the mix, I just got a new machine at work. Miller TIG Runner 250 DX. This thing has more buttons and dials on it than I know what to do with. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Digital display for volts and amps. Has the pulser upgrade.....Started messin with that thing today... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Just that much more $hit to learn...

Anyways....Sorry bout the welding lecture. I love to talk welding/welders etc etc. Sometimes I get carried away. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I know the steel stock is very thick but did you have any warping issues on the flange that bolts up to the pumpkin when welding it together?

14. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    I know the steel stock is very think but did you have any warping issues on the flange that bolts up to the pumpkin when welding it together?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word, yes. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

There is some warpage from the heat, nothing serious though. I can correct most of it with controlled use of a big hammer. I'm not sure there is a time effective way for me, with the resources I have, to solve the problem. So till I figure something else out, I have to fit &amp; shape each one to a housing to make sure the gasket surface seals. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know the steel stock is very think but did you have any warping issues on the flange that bolts up to the pumpkin when welding it together?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word, yes. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

There is some warpage from the heat, nothing serious though. I can correct most of it with controlled use of a big hammer. I'm not sure there is a time effective way for me, with the resources I have, to solve the problem. So till I figure something else out, I have to fit &amp; shape each one to a housing to make sure the gasket surface seals. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you clamped or tack welded the flange to a thick (1" or thicker) ass piece of steel that might limit warping the flange, maybe. Just a thought...

16. Zeus33rd

When I welded up the original one, I had it bolted to a housing with all 14 bolts. It still warped.

I'm experimenting a bit in the order I make the welds. I think the flange is gonna warp regardless of what I do. The weld on the inside of the cover that attachs the flange, is 3/4" wide. Pretty much has to be that wide to look right with the thickness of the material I use. Thats ALOT if heat concentrated there. Not much I can do about it unless I re-design the entire thing. It's not really that much trouble to fix. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's too bad you can't get them on a mill to flycut the mating surface once they're all wedled together, that would be the ideal way to get it perfectly flat. </font>

18. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> It's too bad you can't get them on a mill to flycut the mating surface once they're all wedled together, that would be the ideal way to get it perfectly flat. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, or a surface grinder.

19. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Joe, mine have the same problem, after welding they are warped about 1/8"-1/4" of an inch accross the surface and absolutely would not seal on a diff. They have to be either surface ground, which would be rather cheap to out source, or milled flat. I'm going to be milling all the new ones, I'm building a fixture right now to hold the covers flat upside down in the mill for flattening. Because of this I'm starting with 1/2" material for the base ring so I can mill off the 1/8" or so of warpage...

20. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

The covers I used to make/sell initially had that problem. But I read up on a few welding techniques on how to help control distortion and they seemed to work.

For every 1" of weld I did on one side, I would weld 1" on the opposite side to cancel it out. Now I made a complete cover once out of 1/4" plate using my MillerMatic 210 MIG welder and using that technique I had no distortion.

I cut out the ring using my plasma cutter, which was a 1/4" thick piece. Pictured here...

[​IMG]

Then I welded on the side pieces. I would weld about an inch, then space out an inch, then weld up another inch, and so on. Till I completely went around once, then I went around once again to fill up the 1" spaces. No warpage from that, that I could tell. It still mounted flush to the diff housing after the thing was complete.

Anyways, I am no where near as good a weldor as Jethro. I have seen some amazing beads from his pictures. I have only had some exposure to other career weldors that have taught me some things about distortion and warpage control. I hope this helps anyone seeking a couple tips.