Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More leaks, More $$$

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Feb 2, 2001.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Last night while driving on the freeway, I noticed a "Chirp" noise. I thought it was U-Joints but I pulled the drivelinethis morning and they seem to be O.K. I put everything back together, and headed out back on the road. I put it in 4-Hi, and drove for about a mile (40 mph) let off the gas, and I heard the same noise but worse than last night. I went back under the Blazer to investigate some more. There was alot of red fluid coming from the transfer case ! My question is what's the problem and how do I check the level of fluid in the transfer case? Also the is a oil leak right after the motor and before the transmission, where is this coming from??

<font color=blue> Taxes are Stealing</font color=blue>

2. UseYourBlinker

I for got it's an 208 transfer case with a automatic transmission....I take it the Blazer needs to be on level ground to check the fluid level, right?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know what the problem might be, but I do know that to check your T-case fluid make sure its on level ground. There is a fill plug and drain plug on your T-case, to check the fluid level pull out the fill plug and use your finger. The fluid should be within a half inch or so from the level of the fill plug. Check your tranny fluid while your at it.
    As for the leak between the motor and transmission, you didn't say if it was tranny oil or engine oil. If its tranny oil I would suspect your front pump or a seal. If it is engine oil it could be a rear main seal leak [​IMG]
    You were'nt driving in 4 HI on dry pavement were you? That can cause some damage to your drivetrain from wind-up. Never drive on dry roads in 4 wd.
    What kind of chirp noise was it? Was the noise just one chirp or did it keep chirping? Did you get a feeling of approximately where the noise was coming from?

Rene

[​IMG]

4. UseYourBlinker

The leak between the motor and tranny is engine oil...and I did use 4 wheel drive on dry pavement but not for that long...I think I'll have my buddy come take a look at it. The chirp noise was constant, really noticeable when no gas was applied when moving. I'm baffled ?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by useyourblinker on 02/02/01 10:50 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Mine too!

I hear a noise from my driver side wheel when I am in 4-HI. It sounds similiar to the noise a rotor makes when it is getting turned. Anybody have any ideas?

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Re: Mine too!

Peeetah, do you have auto hubs?? That noise may be the hubs going out.....

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Never step in anything soft."

7. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Yeah

Is that what that noise is? I have heard auto hubs are garbage anyway. I get some Warns on the Jimmy some time this year.

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Hay, I forgot to use my blinker and ran over a VW (ha ha),
    The oil leak between your tranny and motor maybe your rear main seal (bummer). Their is a inspection plate that mounts to the tranny that you can remove (may require removal of the starter) and check where the leak is coming from. If it's just the oil pan, you may be able to clean it up and use some high temp. silicone to seal it. As for the chrip, CHECK THE TRANSFER case fluids berfore you drive it!!!!. If you are really low you could damage the t-case and need to spend major $$. Also check the grease on your U-joints (all of them) and CV joint, one maybe dry and on its way to failure. You don't want to drop a front drive shaft and have your truck flip. GOOD LUCK.
    ps- I hate when people don't use there blinker too[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]<font color=red> Ride'in High In My K5! [​IMG]

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

did you check your brakes for pebbles or rocks?

Also, it could be a u-joint starting to go bad...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

10. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

It isn't going to be fun if it is the rear main seal. I had that go bad on my blazer, lovely $10 part, but if you have somebody do it, the labor can run over $300. If you do it yourself, let's just say it is going to be a fun one.

85 k5 blazer with an old 305....must have more power! [​IMG]