Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more lift questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 2, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, after looking at micah's new pics, I can't wait to get more money and get the suspension hooked up.

I have a question though, he is just running 4" from the 52's up front, and the 56's out back with a shackle flip. So I was wondering, I want to net around 8" of lift. So if I have 3" lift springs, will I notice much of a difference in flex? I want to flex just like micah and mudbuddy, thats so extreme. So will the extra springs mess it around at all? I just don't want to hack my fenders like they did, and I will have a 44" TSL too.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

If you use the stock 52" size and get them in a 3" lift you will never get there kind of flex. you will need the 56" springs but they wont net you 8" lift that you want, you could also try a echobit type shackle flip which will net you around 5.5" of lift then get the 56" springs, you will have around 10" of lift but you will need that if you plan to run 44" tires without hacking the fenders alot.
    -Chris

3. 85mudblazin

disregard my last post I wasnt thinking straight the 56" springs wont give you any extra lift, but if you are looking to get 8" of lift and there type of flex then you will need the 52"/56" spring setup with the shackle flip which will give you 4" of lift, for the rear you could use a 4" block under the 56" springs but I dont know if that would be safe, for the fron you are kindove stuck with 4"f lift if you want the 52" springs, you could gain a extra inch with some zerorates but thats about all your gonna get with the 52" springs and still want to get there type of flex.
    MY .02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If you don't want to cut the fenders, than you won't want to flex 44's. The fenders just won't let them inside. Getting flexed usually runs with being tippy (at least in AZ) so 8" flexin' on 44's would give me a reason to change my shorts.

That is just me though.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

let me get this straight:

8" lift AND flexy
    44" TSL AND No trimming

NOT GONNA HAPPEN

You could get the 8" easy but you'll have to trim like a bitch to tuck a 44"

so 8" in the rear and flexxy....
    When you swap to the 14 bolt you'll need for the 44's, have the perches made an 1" taller to start with. then do a 1" zero rate.(theres 2") then a echo(echo echo echo echo....)bit style flip for 5". (thats 7") then make, or buy a longer shackle to give ya the full 8" and to make it flex make the springs a 57" ford or 63" chevy.

now for the front.
    1" zero rate
    4" lifted rear 52"s (at 9")
    then a longer shackle for the spring to flatten out with
    and then remove leaves til ya get it done to 8"
    and of coarse the dana 60 will add 5/8" to the perch heigth too.

I'v got 7" of lift and I used stock ford 57's front and rear.

-J

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i think he is going to trim just not hack till there no fender left /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

noo! I know I will have to hack my fenders alot, but with some of the pics of micahs and mudbuddy's there is hardly any sheetmetal left.

Since everyone has different Idea's lets here some suggestions if you were me, what would you do? Last night I was also thinking, with the 44's only in 18.5" wide, I may step down to a 42 so I can get the tires a bit thinner for when stuffing the tires. And like someone said 8" of lift is going to be tippy, so please tell me what you guys would do! I'm stuck on buying TSL's and will either get a 42 or 44" tire. I don't want to use blocks like someone suggested. And with echobit out of business, It will be hard to find a shackle flip.

But like someone said, I could redo my spring perches 1" higher (I was already planning on re-doing them, saw an article somewhere) and I will have a 1" body lift (clocking the doubler eventually) for clearence issues.
    So if someone could suggest some things to me thatwould be gooood!

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

anyone, come on you guys, you must have some suggestions!!

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay here is my new plan that I am thinking of:

BRAND NEW stock 52's and 56's from some place (so I don't have to worry about saggy rear syndrom)
    Then 52's up front gain 4" of lift. 1" taller spring perch. 1" body lift. Then custom shackles 7.25" long so I gain .5" in hieght. IN TOTAL I get 6.5" of lift for the front.

Then for the rear I would have echobit shackle flip (if I can find one!!) gains me 5.5" of lift for the 56's which will be reversed to stretch my wheelbase another 3". Then 1" body lift and 1" higher spring perches... 7.5" of lift. so I might kick the spring perches down to stock hieght so it's level at 6.5" Then for my fenders I would have to HACK HACK HACK /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif to fit the 44" tsl's or 42" tsl's.

My only concern is where to find BRAND NEW stock 52's and 56's. and where to find a echobit shackle flip in good condition that will give me 5.5 inches of lift.

How does that sound?

10. 85mudblazin

That all sounds good but you could gain another inch all around if you use zerorates, you can get the stock springs from LMC.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why don't you just stick to a smaller set of meats and a more mild lift?

Living on this site gets you going for the big stuff right away, but honestly, a smaller truck with lockers, good flex, and 35-38" tires will go anywhere you want to go. If you get stuck you can always winch.

Look at Heeps. They all run 33-35" tires and go everywhere they want to go. It's not always about being the biggest truck.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm not trying to get the biggest truck. I want it big so I won't get stuck as easily in the mud, and for ground clearence. If I were to buy a smaller tire, I would have to pay 1200 for that, then when I upgrade another 1500 for bigger tires. Then I will need to (maybe) do a gear change. I rather do it once, then twice.

And I won't have a winch for at least a year, maybe more.

13. 85mudblazin

If you gonna be running mud then you dont want major flex, iwould say get a 38" tire and get around 6" of lift and hack the fenders and call it a day, There is not a real big benefit of using a 44" tire except for in the mud and in mud you dont want that much flex.
    My .02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

sorry... this rig is going to be for everything except sand... rocks, trail rides, and mud. So I WANT flex for when on the rocks.