Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More lift questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Dec 29, 2001.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I want to put a 4" lift on my 1969 blazer. I cant decide between the shackle flip or rear springs. I like the shackle flip but dont want my axel to move forward in the fenderwell. Blocks are a no go except for temporary. The rear springs i'm told will kill my ride. Its not like it ever did or was supposed to ride like a cadillac anyway. I have to decide all this so I can start workin on my wife. She agreed to it, but if i go jumpin around ideas she'll back off. Need anyones opinion. Also any ideas on drive shaft or other complications I will need to know about.
    Thanks in advance
    69K5 (nathan)

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I'd go with a shackle flip, unless you're gonna be doing a lot of towing. it also depends on the tire size. if you were to go with 33, it would be ok. 35s you'll have to cut, even with new leafs. sonner or later they will hit. as for ride quality, i usually fill the tires up to about 24-28psi if i want to get a smother ride. it will affect milage a bit but wont be knocking around your kidneys. then for the long trips i usually fillem up to about 35-40psi.

BTW: i got 33 with a 2" body and a 2" block. i'll be doing a shackle flip as soon i get off my a** and do it [​IMG]

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Nathan,

Believe it or not....the wheel comes "misaligned" from the factory (closer to the front of the fender).

I proved this to myself by taking a few of my BEFORE pics and using a drafting triangle to draw lines straight up both sides of the tires until they intersected the fender. (If you can follow that description...sort of the same idea as dropping a plumbline on each side of the tire)

Anyway, the bottom line is that the shackle flip does very little to affect this "forwardness" of the axle. It becomes more obvious visually as the tires get bigger because the "fender gap" around the tires gets smaller. The reason that people notice this phenomenon, is that they are typically doing the lift to add larger tires......and those bigger tires allow you to notice it more easily.

If you want to do something "cheap" for now, I can send you my 4" lift blocks....you'll need to buy longer u-bolts to make them work, (and all the other stuff...longer brake lines, etc).

You are correct that a "lift spring" with it's increased arch will ride stiffer....a block lift or shackle flip will preserve the ride quality you have now.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    Good to see you back, hope you had a good christmas. I looked at your pictures before and after about 50 times before I wrote that post. I looked and saw that your driveshaft moved just barely. I'll have to agree with you on the bigger tires being the cause. Things that arent centered just kinda of bug me. I just dont know if I have the heart to go whackin away at my new baby. I will probably just have 33's for now instead of 35's.
    I will have to wait to take you up on your offer for the blocks. I am still in recall and noone is supposed to know my whereabouts. Thats a lecture I dont want. But rumor has it that I will get to go home very soon. Then I will gladly take them off your hands for whatever you'd like and the cost of shipping.
    I understood your description you talk like my dad. He's an engineer so he always does everything in great detail. Thanks again for all the help.
    Nathan

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ARQ
    thanks for the help. I think I will go with blocks for now and the shackle flip later for economic purposes. Most people seem to agree on that. I'll just have to break down and do trimmin one day if I decide to go up to 35's. thanks again for the help.
    nathan

6. Greg72

Nathan,

Something else that's worth mentioning.....since you've looked at my album 50 times...[​IMG]

The tires on my K5 are 35's, but they actually measure-out to a "true" 33" diameter. I can't recall if you already have your 33's or if that is something for later. In either case, as you study the pics you can feel confident that what you see in my photos is going to be VERY similar to what you'll end up with on YOURS.

(Remember though, that I also have a 2" body lift....so take that into account. My fender gaps are 2" bigger than just a simple 4" lift would have)

I'll hold those blocks until you're ready, don't sweat it.... [​IMG]

-Greg72

<font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,

My blazer had 33" buckshots when I bought it, but they were 19 years old and had to be immediatley replaced. The old guy that had it apparently didnt want to change tires. They almost didnt make it to the tire shop. It has some 285 75 r15 on it now. I think with the 4" lift and some add aleafs or a body lift I will be able to clear the same as yours. just have to wait and see. thanks again
    nathan

8. huggerk5

huggerk5 Registered Member

I don't know if this will help, but I had my springs rearched and I put longer shackles on the front. I am running 35's. No trimming any where. My fronts will touch occasionally if I am not carefull. Hope this helps.

9. Greg72

No Problemo......

Be careful out there.....wherever you are. [​IMG]

-Greg72

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the idea. I think for now I'm just gonna go with 33's. My wife and I are still in college so I still have to watch the gas mileage.
    nathan