Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Locker talk.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by the beast, Mar 30, 2005.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at a pair of Lockrights for the Beast.

Who runs them?

Experience?

Road Manners?

Issues?

Installation difficulty?

discuss.....

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run a lockright in the front 10 bolt on my truck. It works well for me. I can't complain about it at all. I am not real easy on the truck either. I like to wheel it pretty good when I can.

I can't tell you how they act in the rear but they are fine in the front. Crossover steering is a HUGE blessing with a front locker. Marv Springer used to run LR's front and rear in his green Blazer that he DD'ed for years. He never had a problem with them.

Harley

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a lockright in the 12b rear on my '78. Apart from the clicking when you're turning you wouldn't know it was there on the street, unless you give it a bootfull out of a turn then the back end can break away quite easily rather than just spinning up one wheel like it used to. Going to put one in the back of my '91 DD too. Though I may pay the extra and get their quiet one for that! Good product and easy to fit. :)

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Who runs them? I do. have been for over 4 years in my 10 bolts

Experience? They are a good cheap locker prolly the best out there. But they are not as strong as a detroit locker. Dont recomend them for tires bigger than 33" if you are running ten bolts.

Road Manners? Same as any other full locker. Clicking noise when turning. May sway when you get on or out of the gas. Great in the snow! With rear locked only. Front lockers make it a little hard to turn on snow and ice. I never lock in my front on the street. Never had any need to with the rear locker.

Issues? The only problems I have had with mine is I broke 2 locating pins last winter on a snow wheeling adventure. The snow was deep and sloppy and i was working my truck hard breaking trail. But I think I broke them pulling out a stuck Jeep :grin: Made noise after that so I tore it apart and found the broken pins. Its a common problem with them. .. Got new pins and it works fine.

Installation difficulty? Fairly easy. If you can install a set of spyder gears you can install a lockrite in a few hours. The instructions are very good, step by step with pics

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have them in my truck. I've made a bunch of posts about them under both this username and my old username wrathORC. I think Jeg's wants $220 for them now... I don't think they're worth much more than that. A couple years ago when I bought mine I paid $475 shipped. When you buy them, buy a pin kit because Richmond is cheap and doesn't give you any spare pins like the rest of the lunchbox locker manufacturers do.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ive got one out back in my 10 bolt. Thats right, i run a locked 10b with a 36" tall TSL, and while i fully expect to break it many times, i havent yet.

Its a good cheap locker, it works well, its dirt simple to install, and once again, its cheap.

Road manners are good, its makes some ratcheting sounds arround curves, and will bark tires if you are on it through a turn, but i have no complaints about it on the road. No issues in snow either, handles and drives better for me than it did while open.

As for installation, theres a brief little blurb in my webshots about it, took at tops an hour, after doing it i could proobobally do a rear in under 45 min no problem. Like i said earlier, dirt simple to install.

7. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Thanks again guys. I've actually started looking at the Aussie lockers. Supposed to be better quality, but same price.

These are all great opinions....

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I ran a lockright for a while in my 60 front. It worked fine, but I eventually rounded the teeth off to the point where it wouldn't hold. I'm running a Detroit now and I think steering is easier with the Detroit.

9. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Does the aussie come in GM flavor yet? Or are you putting it in the front 44 only?

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Aussie lockers are not offered for Corporate GM axles. Only some Dana stuff.

Harley

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

FYI If you round the teeth on a lockrite you can take it out and switch the sides around and it will work like new.

12. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Yup Nate, Aussie for the Front. Still undecided on the rear...

Just talked to Aussie. The GM line is indevelopment, but just not done yet. That's why I was able to get part numbers for the rear.

Maybe I'll just lock the front for now.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005