Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more manual locking hub ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcsrgr8, Dec 8, 2002.

1. gmcsrgr8

gmcsrgr8 Registered Member

May 3, 2002

About 8 months ago I bought a donor K20 ('74or 77 not sure?)to do an axle swap on my 83 jimmy. The truck had an 8 lug dana 44 up front that wasn't in very good shape (but the FF 14 bolt was what I wanted anyway, and that was in good shape,not a bad deal for $100.)
    Anyway.I started buying parts when funds were available, and one of those were a set of Warn premium locking hubs, part #9072. Now that I am finally done with the rear, I've noticed that the hubs are different. The old hubs are plastic spicer hubs that are a lot shorter than than the 9072's from warn.
    My question is, is this a "first/second design" or an "inner/outer hub" problem. Can I still use these or should I see If I could return them?
    Thanks a bunch and sorry for the short story.
  2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    Re: more manual locking hub ?\'s

9072 is the right part number for the external (bolt on style) hubs. I've got a set on my '74 Dana 44. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I've always thought that the Spicer hubs look cool. They just have a beefier look than the Warns. But my axle was originally in a full time 4WD truck, so it had drive flanges on it instead of the Spicers. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif