Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More master cylinder and brake questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Desert Rat, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I just got done going through many of the prior posts on master cylinder and brake booster questions. I just purchased a 1974 Blazer having sold my 1990 Bronco. When I had the Bronco, I swapped in a 1990 F-350 MC and booster. Direct bolt in and all lines bolted right up. After reading many of the previous posts it seems that there are a variety of options on upgrading my 74. Is there an article or FAQ on brakes anywhere that can clue this new Chevy owner in on the different types of braking systems on the Chevys? I would like to upgrade my MC and booster when I get around to the body part of my frame up restoration. I've seen some posts saying go to the newer plastic reservoir. Others say you can mix and match. I have a 14 bolt rear that I will convert to disk. I'll be swapping out my front D44 for a D60 too. Recommendations? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks in advance.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

First recomendation is add any vehicle mods currently on the rig. that will help us figure out what you have, and post accordingly.

Second, I presently run a D60/14BFF set up, and with the 1/2 ton brakes, i can stop very well for being on 40" tires.

With the large drums in a 14BFF, you will lock up the rear if you jab them. I can lock them up mid pedal, if you could believe that.

I would suggest getting a good MC, make sure your booster is in good order and all the brake lines are up to snuff. that should give you all the stopping power you need, especially if you go with the disk brake conversion.

3. Desert Rat

I just bought the Blazer and it came with a 4" Rancho lift with a 2" body lift. I am taking the body off and redoing the frame and then plan on going with a 6" lift. 6" front springs, Offroad Design shackle reverse in the rear w/ either 2" blocks or 2" springs. The rear has a 14 bolt that I want to convert to disk unless I don't have to. I will order and swap in a D60 in the front from Boyce Equipment. It has a TH350 in it now but I believe it is from a car. I have an extra TH350 that the guy had that is supposedly heavier duty. Has K on the case and he told me it is a different 350 than the one installed? I figured I would either rebuild the better 350 of the two or maybe look around for a better tranny. 203 transfer case that I want to dump in favor of a 205. One of the things I have been impressed with my buddies 86' Chevy pickup is the brakes. My 1990 Bronco that I sold had POS brakes. His are stock and he runs 35's on a 4" lift. Corp 12 in the rear and Corp 10 up front I think. I plan on running either 35's or 37's, haven't decided yet. Do you think simply upgrading the MC to a heavier duty one and leaving everything else will be ok? Or should I go for the rear disk conversion? After reading the most recent thread on disk conversions it looks like many are having real problems.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ok...let's see if i can address this in my drunken state.

the 203 has a bad wrap. i run one and yes it is chain driven, but hell, unless you are the ORD Jimmy, most do not need the 205 strenght. proper maintanince of a 203 will let it live as long as you want.

the K case 350 is a find. do not let it go. have it rebuilt when the 350 in it dies. use the burned out core to give to the rebuilder and keep your K case. it is worth it.

With the 14BFF, the brakes on it were ment to stop a 1-ton loaded truck. With drum rears, disc fronts and a 1/2 ton MC and booster i can lock up the rear with a twitch of my ankle.

just my expereince.

5. Desert Rat

The main reason I wanted to go with the 205 was gas mileage. Most of my wheeling is in Nevada and sometimes as far as Ruby Valley outside of Elko. Part time transfer cases make for better gas mileage. The strength of the 205 is a definite bonus. Good to know on the rear brakes. I would just as soon wait and run the drums now since I have enough projects to do as it is. The current 350 tranny looks like it was put together by a bunch of drunk monkeys so I will be doing a rebuild anyway. There is a shop up in my area called Schucks that I have used before and been real happy with. I figured I'd take both trannies down and have the K case rebuilt. Or should I swap both for a TH400? What is the plus of the K case?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

K case is thicker in the bellhousing (at least) so that its not as likely to crack. If you are worried about mileage, don't switch to the TH400. More HP to turn that than the 350. (or 700 for that matter)

350's can be built pretty strong, so unless you start breaking them regularly (although it gets kind of costly) I'd not worry about the 400 yet. Besides, the Chev 400's are really starting to get spendy.