Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More n00biness... got the Detroit in ... how do I tell if it's happy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Aug 27, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Providing I did it right, installing a Detroit into a 14BFF really is very easy and anyone with an open axle needs to go and do it right now. Having the impact was nice (as my buddy says, "Air tools ::grunt::!") but otherwise it was just hand tools.

While the truck was up on stands did the tests that the booklet talks about, spinning the wheels this way and that, and the ends seem to lock to each other, and then unlock when the wheels are spun as if turning.

On the street, she behaves just as she did with an open diff, and in a few minutes of driving around the block, I never heard the characteristic bang from out back -- nary a peep, in fact. But the wheels were locked to each other when it was up, so I don't think the thing is stuck open.

Did I do something stupid when I put it in? I did take the shipping bolt off :haha: once I had the case halves torqued together, so at least it's not THAT simple.

Are they really quiet, or does it take something special to make them go BANG? Do I worry too much, now that it's dark outside and too warm to work on the truck? Will the great truths of the universe ever become evident to me? Find out next week, same CK5 time, same CK5 channel...

(Sorry, sometimes I think I'm RJ :haha: and get weird.)

-- A

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They don't bang all the time. But the first time it does it, you'll be looking in the rear view mirror to see if the transmission is laying in the street behind ya! :doah:

Pull off the edge of a street somewhere, with one tire in the dirt and the other on pavement. Punch the go pedal and see if ya throw dirt everywhere, or if ya just drive away due to the traction on the pavement side.

You'll also really notice it if you get on the gas while turning a corner. The rig will want to go straight instead of turning.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well you did better than me. When I put mine in last month, I forgot to take one of the shims out and it made a hell of a noise at all times :o I then took it all apart and did it all over again, luckily I didn't break anything :o

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

They really arent that noticeable if your easy n smooth on the throttle. A way to tell on the street is come to a stop sign/light and make a right hand turn. From a stop punch the gas and turn hard, should hear the tire chirp a few times through the turn. Or just get in some dirt/sand and floor it. See if you dug one hole or two. :wink1:

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Aaron,

Mine's NEVER banged (installed 3 years ago), so I wouldn't use that as your "acid test"....

If you're on the gas around a corner you should be able to hear the "chirp chirp chirp" of the inner tire being held back as the outer one takes the larger arc. With radials, or street pressure maybe it's less noticeable.....38" TSLs at 17psi make it pretty obvious for me. :D

Beyond that, just try what was suggested....go drive over a berm or something to dangle a rear tire (the malls have great obstacles!) or get one tire on some gravel or something.

The other giveaway, is that at highway speeds when you "coast" you will feel a gentle swaying as the locker disengages, and a slight sway in the opposite direction when you feather the gas back in. It's mildly annoying, but again it depends a lot on tires and other factors too I suppose.

6. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

detroits are pretty smooth operators....compared to lets say a pop-right...same concept....2 different animals. My old pop-right was just plain nasty and it was never predictable...

DW

7. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

detroits are noisy and violent in small vehicles like jeeps, but in heavier trucks they are pretty freindly. Just do a good burnout on the asphalt and see if you leave two good patches of rubber. If not enough power, try four low with the front hubs unlocked.