Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More New...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jeff427, Sep 4, 2000.

1. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Info and pics on the Mud Dog Off Road site. Just click the link below.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

2. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

More progress on Project Cadzilla, the Monster Chevy with a Monster Cadillac motor. Just click the link below then click Cadzilla and Cadzilla Page 2 on the index page.

Jeff427

3. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Updated... You can now check out Jesse Jaynes 64 Chevy Pickup that used to be a Blazer. Just click on the 64 Chevy link on the main page.

Jeff427

4. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Dude, All I can say is, DAMMMMMNNN!!! Cadzilla, that's soo killer!!! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with crazy ideas. Keep up the good work!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

FROM MICH. TOO

HEY JEFF,

I FROM MICHIGAN TOO. I USED TO LIVE IN BAY CITY AND I JUST MOVED TO ANN ARBOR. I WAS WONDERING WHERE YOUR FROM AND WHERE YOU LIKE TO WHEEL.

DAZED AND CONFUSED IN A 74 BLAZER

zepplin

6. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Thanks talldogg, if your interested in more info, I could give you a run down of everthing we have into it so far (not neccessarily on it yet). Let me know.

Jeff427

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Sure, what donor vehicle gave up the 2 1/2 axles? How are they geared? I also noticed that the Cad powered Blazer is a separate project, right? Does this mean Cadzilla will also be Cad powered? Is the hydralic winch going to run off the power steering pump, or it's own pump? I'd love to learn more, I love stuff like this... Hey where's Paradise, CA? I'm in San Diego.

8. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Paradise, CA is where Jesse Jaynes of High Angle Driveline is located. The Cad powered Blazer featured on the site is Donovan Horton's. He's from Colorado. Cadzilla and the Mud Dog Off Road Club, which includes me, are in Michigan.

Here is a list of items we have aquired and their cost.

77 Chevy 3/4 ton truck with 400sb TH400/203 14/10 bolt combo for $300

500 Cadillac and TH400 tranny for $100

12" Super lift lift kit for $300 + a 6" lift(blocks & springs)

Huge hydraulic winch for $100

C65 log truck (for hydraulic pump and loads of other parts, including tires) $700 (the only thing missing off the truck was the starter and the flat bed, the hydraulic system was still in place for the dump bed)

The axles and transfercase came from an old military GMC, we got them for $100

I'm not sure about the gearing in the axles they're either 6.17 or 6.34:1, I think.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Jeff427

9. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Re: FROM MICH. TOO

Zepplin,
    I'm located in Gladwin. I usually wheel in the Dunham Lake area, or in the Game Refuge in northern Gladwin, or around the St. Helen area. The Powerline trail going from Gladwin to Prudenville is fun too.

Jeff427

10. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Jeff,
    I appreciate the info. Cadzilla's going to be a hell of a monster when your done. I noticed that you scored all of your parts pretty cheap, I wish cool stuff like that was easy to find around here. You can't even find a complete HEI unit at the local bone yards, damn vultures! I was really impressed by the shackle flips you fabricated. At first glance I thought they were from ORD. With gears that high in the 2 1/2 axles, what performance do you think you'll get? You mention you'd like to get it on the road, I was just wondering how the gears would come into play when driving it.

11. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

talldogg,
    Well parts are easy to find for the most part, unless we're looking for body parts. I'm on good terms with the owner of a local junk yard. Let me know if your looking for smaller stuff, and I'll get you pricing. The prices may be good enough to pay for shipping from MI to CA. Thanks for the compliment on the shackle brackets, the design is similar, but I have never seen anything but pictures of ORD's shackle flips, so I put a lot of work into the design. The gearing should be good for the 44 x 19.5 x 15 Super Swamper Boggers that will eventually find their way onto the truck. But until then we'll run the snow tires on the road, and we're working on getting a set of implement tires for it, something close to 48" tall, to do some exhibition car crushing at local businesses, and run at a few local mud bogs.

The same junk yard that we got the 500 and TH400 tranny from, I'm getting a 472 and TH400 out of a 71 Caddy for $150 and it runs, all I have to do is drop it in my Blazer(in theory, I know it will take a bit of work, but I can't find a 454 for $150 [​IMG])

Jeff427

12. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Jeff, Have you ever dealt with Larry Kruzcik from CMD? Every article I've ever read about the Cad 500's always references him. Just wondering. Your right about the 454, I've got the best deal going, I found a complete, recently rebuilt 454 for $500. I've always wondered about the Cad 500's, because of their size, and believe it or not, they're plentiful in the bone yards. Because of gas prices no body is interested in cars that big. Recently I've seen 70-73 Cadillacs for sale at $300 and less. I think I'll stick to BB's for now, I've got a spare block too, standard bore, $100!
    I'm jealous of all the fun you most be having with Cadzilla, when I was a kid that's all I would do, draw and dream about monster trucks. You my friend are living it! I'll keep my eyes out to see updates on your site, take it esay!
    Mmmmmmm, car-crushing....

13. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

talldogg, I haven't dealt with Larry from CMD. I deal with Al from MTS (Maximum Torque Specialties). Al is excellent to deal with.

I've always wanted to work on a monster truck, ever since I was a kid too. Hopefully the progress will be more steady from now on. Thanks for all the good words.

Jeff427