Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More newbie diesel (6.2) questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Mastiff, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm going to abuse your good will some more and hit you with a list of questions I have after digging around under the hood today. I've never had a diesel before, so all this is pretty new to me. Here they are :grin: :

1) What is the purpose of all the stuff connected to the oil filler? I'm talking about the tubing going off to the the passenger side of the motor, then there is some contraption there and two sets of plumbing to each side of the intake manifold.

2) What is the thing sticking up from behind the motor, like where the distributor would be? I'm thinking it's a vacuum pump possibly, to generate vacuum for accessories?

3) What is the function of the vacuum line that comes up to the injector pump?

4) How does the fast idle system work? I can see the actuator up at the injector pump, but what drives it? Is it based on coolant temp somehow?

5) What are all the wires that go to the fuel filter on the firewall?

6) How does the "water in fuel" detector work? If the light goes off, what do you do about it?

7) What are the vacuum hoses going to the injectors for?

That's it ... for now ;) . Thanks for the help.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

1. Its purpose is to evacuate blowby from the crankcase and keep a slight vacuum to prevent leaks.

2. Yes, vacuum pump.

3. You need to be more specific, could be for your trans. vacuum modulator or your cruise control if so equipped. You could also be thinking of the fuel return line coming off the top towards the front.

4. A temp controlled switch. Yes.

5. Water in fuel light harness

6. There are two filaments that when water goes across them, the circuit is completed and the light goes on. If it goes off, that only means that no water is going to the engine at that time, but there still may be water in the tank.

7. Those are not vacuum hoses, they are return lines for internal leakage in the injectors.

You need to buy the Haynes 6.2/6.5 manual, they would have answered all these questions and then some.

3. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I second the Haynes manual. I just purchased it the other day and it is way more informative than the big Chilton truck book I have. Picked it up at Manny,Moe and Jacks.

4. DieselSub

DieselSub Registered Member

Or, pickup a factory service manual. Its a little more spendy (~$90) but its the one the service department uses, and has every part and service listed. It also covers all the other chevy trucks from your model year, which is usefull when your trying to figure out what other vehicle you can salvage parts from. Plus, it has all the wiring diarams. :D

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Okay, I'll check out Haynes. The Haynes book for my K5 is good for replacing stuff, but it doesn't explain how anything works really. I do have the factory manual for my 83 K5, which covers the 83 diesel motor, but there's only a few paragraphs of stuff about general operation principles, then it's right into troubleshooting and replacement.

Thanks for the help.