Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More NEWBIE ?'s...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 13, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

More NEWBIE ?\'s...

Okay, I looked at that K5 again today (if you are unfimiliar with my situation, read my previous post <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=262170&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;part=>here</a>). I noticed that it is gonna need some new tires soon. How much you you think I should try to have him take off his price of $5500 for the tires? Thnaks for any iput you may have [​IMG]

I am about to purchase (i.e. this week [​IMG], 11/15/2001)a 1987 K5. I am so excited. I has a 4" lift, 33's, Flowmaster, & pretty to boot

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Re: More NEWBIE ?\'s...

For a reference, I picked up a '91 3/4 ton Suburban Silverado with every possible option, rebuilt trans and brand spanking new BFG A/T KO's for $4900 two months ago.

Figure on AT LEAST $500 for a decent set of shoes...

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/abshort1>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

3. fortcollinsram

Thats what I was guessing...about $500-$600. How much do you think I should deduct for the almost-broken tailgate handle and the sticking tailgate? In all honesty, those are the only things wrong with it that I can tell aside form the minimal amount of rust.... Thanks for you input Burb [​IMG]

I am about to purchase (i.e. this week [​IMG], 11/15/2001)a 1987 K5. I am so excited. I has a 4" lift, 33's, Flowmaster, & pretty to boot

4. Burbinator

The sticking tailgate may be as simple as lubricating the latch mechanisms, maybe not. The handle I can't see being more than $50, but figure it's a little work to replace; time is money.

I'd say around $4700-$4800 would be fair. It's all dependent on what you feel comfortable paying for the truck.

Good luck and keep us posted!

5. fortcollinsram

Thanks for the input man [​IMG]. I will let you all know tomorrow how it pans out... I looked in my checking account today and have $6500 to work with...but about 1200 of that is set aside for my insurance expense and gas $$$ for a while...but if all goes well tomorrow, I WILL have a K5

6. Burbinator

No problem at all...that's what we're here for!

BTW...Welcome to CK5!

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Chris,
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

those are the only things wrong with it that I can tell aside form the minimal amount of rust

<hr></blockquote>

Do yourself a favor, pull the carpet up and check the floors for rust. At the point where rust starts to be visible to you the truck most likely has areas that are much worse but hidden. The owner may not even realize how bad it is. Common bad areas that are hard to see are where the seat belt bolts to the side wall behind the front seats. This can be seen from underneath the truck looking striaght up with a flashlight. Plenty of these trucks have seat belts anchored only with upholstery in that area. Front floors under the carpets are commonly rotted and unseen until the carpet is lifted. Rot at the tailpan is also common and a PITA to fix properly. The tailpan is the rearmost part of the floor of the truck and is a structural part.

Just a heads up...K5's are great trucks, but you do have to be vigilant when dealing with rust. The less you have to start with the easier it is to keep on top of.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>