Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More NP 208 Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, I ripped the 208 apart tonight. I found that the bearing that supports the Planatery's is shot to hell.

#1: Where can I get that bearing?

#2: How do I reinstall all those damn needle bearinds back under the main chain gear? (they all fell out)

#3: Where do I get those little teflon teeth covers for the shift forks?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Harley

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

your best bet is from GM...most tranny shops will probably tell you you have to buy the whole rebuild kit. If you can get a number off the bearing shell, you could get that at NAPA.But the pads are either gonna be a whole rebuild kit or from GM...IIRC, when I was looking at rebuilding my 208, the GM dealer told me that the newer 208 shift forks were dipped in nylon rather than have pads that "Clipped" on...bith of it was the forks were like $75 a piece...

But you COULD get a complete rebuild kit for like $130 or so...
    Chris

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i have some used ones . or you could call John at Border parts , he rules ! for both parts 619 461 0075 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

On those drawings I gave you all the parts are #'d. Write down the part #'s you need and call Shep @ 1-800-216-1632. That is the place I got the diagrams from. I havent bought anything from them, but they seem to be very helpful from what I have dealt with them.

As far as the needle bearings, get a bottle of Vasoline.(no, not for that! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)
    Put a thick layer on the main shaft and then stick the bearings in the vasoline. After you get the whole bottom row stuck on there, put another heavy coat over the top(face) of the bearings. This will hold them in place quite well. I did it this way and assembled and dissasembled everything 2 times taking pictures and they stayed put.

If Ive made this confusing, PM me and Ill send ya a picture of what Im talking about.

5. Hossbaby50

I had a problem with those diagrams you sent me. I got them ok, but they are really small. The whole diagram is about 1"x1.5" or so. I tried to enlarge them in the photo shop, but they get blurry where you can't see anything. I don't know if you can send them bigger or not, but if you can i would appreciate it.

I was thinking about using grease to hold those needle bearings in place, but I guess vasoline will work fine too.

Thanks
    Harley

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Let me see if I can figure out why they didnt come out right. Ill try to send them again.

7. Hossbaby50

I got a diagram from the GM Steelership today. So don't worry about them if you didn't already send them. Thanks though.

Harley

8. Hossbaby50

I went to the GM Dealer today, and I found out that what I need for my truck is NS (non serviceable) and that they sold it only with the whole outer planetary shell as a whole. But that is now discontinued (Jan 03) /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Anyone know where I can get a Bushing for the rear of the planetary setup in a NP 208?

I was informed that GM calls this a bushing not a bearing. It doesn't have needle bearings and acts more like a main bearing from the motor.

Thanks
    Harley

9. Hossbaby50

found the "annulus bushing" on drivetrain.com thanks for all the other info.

Harley

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Could you take apic of the bushing or bearing that your needing? Ive got a bunch of new bearings and stuff from a rebuild kit for the 208. Im just not sure which one youre talking about exactly.

11. Hossbaby50

actually that bushing I needed isn't included in the rebuild kits that I saw. It is the bearing/bushing that sits in the rear of the exterior planetary case.

It doesn't have roller bearings, it is more like a bearing race or a main bearing. Mine was pretty worn from what I can tell.

I don't have a camera to take a pic with otherwise I would.

Harley