Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More odd gas tank placement issues

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So far, I've got my setup planned like this: (for my 92 IFS k2500)

Main Diesel Tank, 34 gallons
    Vegetable oil tank, (I think its a 24 gallon), mounted in the spare tire area like on the burb.

Running veggie is great, but the unfortunate downside is the fill up- I would like to extend the capacity of my veggie, by putting in another 34 gallon tank.

Here is my question:

The only location to fit the "shaped" tank is parallel to the stock tank located on the drivers side. This however, causes the slight issue of where my exhaust is supposed to route.

Can I route my exhuast outside of the frame rail on the passenger side, then just drop the muffer and exhaust the same way the ford lightning does? Its not really a matter of "if it can be done", but rather if it would restrict the exhuast by a huge amount.

The other choices are to use "side saddles" but I am not too keen on that.

I've thought about adding a transfer flow, but I want the bed space.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So far, I've got my setup planned like this: (for my 92 IFS k2500)

Main Diesel Tank, 34 gallons
    Vegetable oil tank, (I think its a 24 gallon), mounted in the spare tire area like on the burb.

Running veggie is great, but the unfortunate downside is the fill up- I would like to extend the capacity of my veggie, by putting in another 34 gallon tank.

Here is my question:

The only location to fit the "shaped" tank is parallel to the stock tank located on the drivers side. This however, causes the slight issue of where my exhaust is supposed to route.

Can I route my exhuast outside of the frame rail on the passenger side, then just drop the muffer and exhaust the same way the ford lightning does? Its not really a matter of "if it can be done", but rather if it would restrict the exhuast by a huge amount.

The other choices are to use "side saddles" but I am not too keen on that.

I've thought about adding a transfer flow, but I want the bed space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I will be contemplating a similar issue when i shorten my frame so i will let you know what i have thought of so far.
    You can move the exhaust outside the frame and do whatever you want as long as you have good bends in the pipe, flow will not be affected too much especially since it's a diesel.
    You could use a K5 tank in the back where the spare goes under the bed, you can maybe even use a 41gallon suburban tank depending on how long your frame is beyond the axle.
    I have no idea on the size of the frame on 92 + trucks, i am working with a 87 and I will be putting the saddle tanks inside the frame instead of outside plus adding a burb tank in the rear.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

THis quest for fuel capacity has taken precidence over adding a turbo. While I can always swing by NJ once a month for diesel at 1.63, once your out of NJ, it gets into the 1.90ish range, pretty much throught the rest of the country up over 2.10 in california. So my ability to carry large amounts of fuel will kinda pay for the project.

Even though Im using my auxilary tanks for veggie, there is no problems with mixing veggie and diesel. The 6.2 motor burns it all the same, and doesnt complain one bit.

I figured, I could add approximately another 60 gallons under my truck, easily giving me an additional 1500-1800 mile cruise radius. Besides, moving around a tire is easier than trying to move around 24 gallons of oil. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

This would be enough for me to make it down to NC and back without ever having to refuel!

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Head north, 1.76 up here in NH. With all that fuel if you get in an accident you will keep the EPA busy /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    How do the dual tanks work on a diesel? Same as a gasser? On my gas truck I used to run one tank empty then switch, that could cause some issues with the diesel. Any dummy proof for that or just pay attention and switch tanks befor they are empty?

5. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

good gauges ? Watching miles ?

Running out of fuel on a diesel would be a bitch because it does not want to start again easily.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Each tank has its own sender-

In a normal transfer tank setup, you would just run the first tank close to empty, then flip a switch to transfer fuel from the auxiliary into the primary.

In dual tank setups, some use simultaneous pickups, and you check the fuel level in each by flipping a switch. (two senders, one gauge).

In my particular instance, Im running vegetable on the auxiliary tanks, so It has to have its own sending unit, as it runs directly to the lift pump through a switchable valve.