Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More of my rig is on the city streets than in my shop...What to do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    OK here is the situation....
    Come spring time there will be very little of my truck left. Its tub could be salvaged if I wanted to spend the time cutting out the floors/rockers/crossmembers and much more. My frame is in good shape (por15ed) I have all the good stuff on this truck (3/4 ton shackle flip TC springs 350HO etc)

Here are what I see as my options
    1. Repair what I have. Would not be very hard but I dont have much faith in the taiwan steel lasting very long in the salt (there is som much salt on the roads they are white dec to april!) The trucks I have done before have started to go in about 3 years or so regardless of slathering on por15, undercoat, blowing in the crossmembers. epoxy primer etc.

2. Find a clean doner tub or truck. Easier said than done. I have been looking at truck as south as MD so far all have the same rot in the floors. Sure I know that I could find one in good shape out west but I would still have to take care of it (unlike the one I have) and make it last a long time. I guess between the previous owner and me we got almost 20 years out of her (if I had done the work I wanted to when I bought it i would not be here now) so I guess another tub would last awhile

3. Body swap off another truck. I have been kicking around the idea of a later model body swap (see other post)

4. Rebuild what I have with 304 stainless and fiberglass. I have access to stainless, and have a brake and welder. I was thinking build a whole new floor complete with cross members out of 16 ga 304 and replace any exterior sheetmetal with fiberglass. This might be pretty costly but would IMO be pretty neat and maintence free.

5. Go full fiberglass. Never rots but you cant throw bricks in the back now can you? Sure is expensive and most of it out there is real crap.

6. Sell all of it real cheap and buy a horse. Sure it might be cold in the winter but the salt wont bother it!!!!

Sorry everyone for the long post!

TREAD VIOLENTLY!!!
    Luke
    84 K5

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I really like your Stainless steel idea...it would be great for floors and crossmembers, hell anywhere but the outside of the body.

One thing that would help is to leave the backside of the rockers open...

The ultimate solution is to move to Arizona...or drop $7000 for the US body fiberglass replacement body and hide the bricks.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Come out here no rust :) Or atleast come get a rtruck from here for a body swap.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

Sure thing I'll pack tonight ;-) with about 4 rolls of foil tape over the holes in the bed the fumes wont kill me in the first 100 miles

DRIVE IT LIKE ITS YOUR BOSSES!!!
    Luke
    84 K5

5. tRustyK5

Flow through ventilation...standard issue on GM's.[​IMG]

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Oh dude i feel sorry for all of you guys up north. Its cold year around and all that salt. Makes me so happy to live in Texas.
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

Makes me real sad....I moved from Texas to NY!

Luke
    84 K5

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Its times like this when you wished someone would make the replacement body panels from sheets of stainless steel instead of regular sheet metal. [​IMG]

Hmmmm.....someone should find/buy some sheet metal dies and start their business of aftermarket replacement body parts made of stainless steel!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

9. tRustyK5

Why would they do that? They'd have no repeat customers...[​IMG]

Rene

10. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

It would be so cool though. It would be like a K5/Delorean. You could clean the thing with one box of SOS pads.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Wanna bet? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

12. tRustyK5

It would be cool...but even heavier. Not that weight seems to concern anyone here that much.

Rene

13. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

Still looking for ideas/opinions

Luke
    84 K5