Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More on Death Wobble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rlhenry, Apr 22, 2002.

1. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

I just installed the ORD bolt-in steering brace and guess what.....I still have DW. Now I'm moving on to the PS pump. It's been about 6 years since it was replaced so I'll give that a shot. From there, I'll try tire balancing, then tie-rod ends, then drag links. I figure if I try it a component at a time, I'll find the source sooner or later. I'm going to try a suggestion that Tim made in another post. He asked if anyone had removed their PS belt to drive the vehicle without power assist and see if DW continued. I think I'll try this and see what happens. Did anybody try this?

2. I am getting my new PS Pump today when I get out of school, and I am really hoping it cures it. I will let you all know how it goes. 80K20

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Probably won't help ya'll, but I noticed when I disconnected my swaybar and left it disconnected I would have some really bad DW on certain bumps in the road. With it connected I do not have the DW on the same bumps.

4. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

what do you guys mean "death wobble"?

5. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

On a lot of the D60 front vehicles the whole front end shakes very violently around 25-35 MPH. if you watch your tires while it happens(don't try while on a busy street, it scares everyone else on the road) the move back and forth 4-6 inches very fast making it hard(*imposible) to control the vehicle. Stopping or speeding up is the only way to get temporary relief. I just rotated my tires and it started up again. It happend before, but i repalced the tie rod and stabilizer and front spring hangers(holes worn out of round) and it went a way. Gonna replace the stabilizer again since this one was used and all the fluid leaked out.

6. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

[censored]! i was contemplateing trying to explain this problem on the board but i thought everyone would think i was crazy! i just put the 60/14 in my 1990 and around 30 mph if i hit the right series of bumps or somthing the whole truck goes CRAZY until i stop or speed up. what the hell can i do to stop this? we need to figure this out asafp, i dont even enjoy driving my k5 anymore cause it feels like its going to fall apart.

7. rlhenry

Take a look at two strings of posts on this site. One is titled 'Some engineering perspective on Death Wobble' and the other is something like 'Help, have death wobble....can't drive much longer.' Those two strings will tell you most everything about DW.

8. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

maybe the "dw" is caused by the extreme weight of the axle?? i know it has to be something with the axle its self becuse my truck rode/handled NICE until the day i put in the 60. are people with cross-over having the same issues? camber angle might have something to do with it???

9. rlhenry

People with crossover, people with lifts, without lifts; you name it, people have it. I have a beefed up 10 bolt and I have it. When you review the posts, you will see that there are a variety of causes meaning there are a variety of fixes. It does seem to be more common among D60's, but the D44's and 10 Bolts have the same issues. It's also not only GM's. A number of lifted jeeps have the same problem. Ironically, a lot of older jeep front ends are made up of the same components as our GM's so there might be common factor there. Caster sometimes plays a roll, but it may also be a worn steering box or pump. If you scroll down a little further on the first page of posts, you will see the 'Engineering Perspective' set of posts. There is probably more useful information in that set than any other on this site as far as DW is concerned.

10. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

well the only usefull info i can offer at this piont is, its not caused by worn parts, my k5 is a 90 and has less than 100k easy orig mileswith new springs and bushings, the only thing that i could think of being a causeal factor from wron parts on mine would be the spring hanger bushing on the shackle at the frame? but someone mentioned that they observed the wheels in "dw" action and they were moving back and fourth not side to side, which would not explain worn spring bushings

11. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

has anyone had any luck with the heavy duty ord shackles?

12. rlhenry

I have the Hill heavy duty shackles. They didn't help. What kind of condition are your drag links and tie rod ends in?

13. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

they are in decent shape as far as i can tell but like i said on another post, it dosen't seem like a steering problem to me it seems like a confrontaion between the axle and the frame wanting to move laterally opposite of each other at the same time

14. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

Ok heres the deal on the DW from what i know ScoobyDann83 has and ive been in his truck when it happens ive also seen his truck do it and it just looks like his tire is gonna wobble off, my jimmy on the other hand does not do it and im in worst shape than him i have both ball joints on my passenger side just ready to go any time now and i also drove with a bent tie rod and no balanced tires and have no prob. ??????? go figure now i have repaired all my prob. except ball joints.

15. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

i had really bad death wobble, when i changed out my front axle. I left my streering stabilzers off. I put them back on today, and no more death wobble. I have talked to a couple other blazer owners who went through the same thing.
    by the way im running dual stabilizers