Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More on Girl scout cookie/police.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

COOKIE MONSTERS

By KIERAN CROWLEY, LARRY CELONA and DAVID SEIFMAN

Email Archives
    Print Reprint

March 9, 2005 -- The child at the center of the bizarre Girl Scout cookie-selling bust said she was terrified that she and her dad were being robbed by fake cops when a pair of men in uniforms swooped down on them while they were selling the famous goodies on a Brooklyn street.

"A police car pulled up and a cop screamed, 'Get over here! Police!' recalled 13-year-old Gracemarie Louis from Troop 3019 in Hicksville, L.I.

"I was afraid because I didn't think it was the police," she said, recalling recent news reports of violent criminals posing as law-enforcers.

As The Post reported exclusively yesterday, Gracemarie's nightmare began as she was in her former Williamsburg neighborhood, delivering cookies to residents who'd pre-ordered them, with the help of her dad, Hoi "Howard" Louis, 55.

Her father joined the effort, selling some cookies to passersby who spotted the treats by the family's van.

That's when, the family says, a police car roared up and a captain from the 94th Precinct began yelling at the father from the car, and forcing a hesitant officer to ticket him.

After the cops showed him ID, Louis told his daughter to go wait in the car because, "we're getting a summons — for cookies."

Gracemarie's mom, Ann, who suffers from MS, was waiting in the van, said:

"The way it was done, it was very scary — for her, especially. There are so many people out there who are pretending to be policemen.

"They humiliated [my husband]. It was horrible."

Gracemarie added: "If we weren't supposed to, it would have been nice to have a warning. I was kind of surprised because I didn't know that Girl Scouts would be illegal, because it's a nonprofit organization."

"I think it was a misunderstanding," said the forgiving girl.

Police sources identified the captain as Paul Vorbeck, 36, a 15-year NYPD veteran. He was not on duty yesterday and could not be reached at home.

Cops yesterday defended their actions, saying the father had illegally set up a table on a busy sidewalk to peddle cookies.

"A 55-year-old man is no Girl Scout," said Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne.

He said the bust came after "complaints by residents and merchants about crowding by illegal vendors on busy Bedford Avenue."

Mayor Bloomberg said his office is looking into the incident.

"I think it's fair to say that our crime-reduction strategy has little to do with Girl Scout cookies," the mayor quipped, adding that his of fice is looking into the matter.

Donna Ceravolo, execu-tive director of the Girl Scouts of Nassau County, called the incident a misunderstanding and praised Gracemarie — who's been the top cookie seller in eight of her nine years as a Scout — and hopes to top last year's count of 992 boxes. She has sold 600 so far. Anybody who wants to help Gracemarie make her goal can order cookies in her name at (516) 741-2550 ext. 260 and they'll be credited to her account, Ceravolo said.

This year, her troop hopes to sell enough cookies to win a Disney cruise or trip to Hawaii. http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/42184.htm

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

What a cock, somebody needs to kick that Capt. in the nuts. No warning or anything?

Just reminds how little I would like living in NYC.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Two boxes of thin mints on the way!:woot: :woot:

:D

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

That girl is going to set an all time record, I bet.:D

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If us CK5 people come out in full force buying cookies she will, LOL.

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

if the guy did have a table set up thats bull s!!t also. everyone can't be little shop keepers or it will start looking the black market on mash everywhere.:laugh:

7. boggerless

acually people selling crap for their kids at work pisses me off. the kids don't do a thing to earn it and reap the rewards. what do they learn except how to be a democrat?:laugh: :tongue1:

8. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

Amen brother!

9. boggerless

:waytogo: :waytogo: i don't feel sorry for anyone.:laugh: :laugh: