Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More on golf ball balancing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Oct 13, 2006.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

2. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

that's why i used airsoft bb's :D

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I worked at a commercial tire shop and would see this all the time. they would come in with a flat tire and the inner liner would be all beat up. Equal is what you should use if you want to run internal balancing. Its a powder that will not damage the tire. you need to keep moisture out of the tire or it will clump negating the effects.

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have to chime in! Keep moisture out? Most tires get moisture in them from air when they are inflated because the service station or air pump does not have a water trap or it is not working. This is why they sell Nitrogen (rip off).

Air is about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other. Nitrogen is inert, non combustible, and non corrosive.
    They sell you by saying " What happens to a rubber band over time? It loses its elasticity and strength. This same process occurs in tires inflated with air as the oxygen attacks the rubber molecules, working from the inside out until the oxygen permeates the tire structure and ultimately the tread."

When you look at a tire on an old vehicle that has set for a long time with "tire rot" where are the cracks? The outside take the tire off the rim and the inside is maybe slimey but I have not seen these cracks on the inside.
    But it is only $9.95 a tire to use.

Yes you do get better mileage because most people are going to check their tires more often with it inside.

Sorry did not mean to hijack this but it gets me when you see dumb arse things like this.

5. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

:( I have 3 golf balls in each of my tires (33-13.5-15 Pit Bull Rockers) for about 3000 miles or so. I guess i better break them down to check them out.:mad:

6. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I used regular 'ol copper plated bb's. I probably don't see enough mileage to worry about it though. :dunno:

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I see your point. I think he mentioned moisture because it causes problems with the Equal Powder. It clumps up and doesn't work, nothing to do with tires and moisture.

Eric M.

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

The suns UV rays dry rot tires

9. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't tires also get moisture in them from temp changes and humidity levels?

10. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

So I just spent lke $130.00 bucks to get the innovative Balancing beads, is this article trying to say not to use this kind of stuff or to use there beads??

11. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Balancing beads, Nitrogen it is all just ways of parting you from your money! imho,,

12. gmc4cw

yes I was referring to moistures affect on clumping. balancing beads are the same thing as Equal just bigger. Anything that is hard should not be placed inside a tire. BB's will at the very least chip the finish off the inside of your rim. If you are running a steel wheel then rust is going to occur. due to moisture put in your tire every time you air up after wheeling, at joe's garage where they never check their water filters, if they have one. Nitrogen is a ripoff. A good pressure gauge is all you need.

Heat is the main cause of tire failures. Friction creates heat. low pressure creates friction. What do you think wore down those golf balls. Friction.

I have seen all sorts of stuff left inside tires. most common being a metal valve stem or wheel weight. the tires don't last long. granted I worked in a commercial shop where 80% of what came in was tractor trailers.

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I run airsoft pellets in my tires and they are no longer spinning or bouncing at about 5 mph and they do not fall off the inner portion of the tire until below 5 mph. They weigh in at a massive .2 grams each. I drive it on the highway and I have had it up to 80 mph with no problems at all. If they are going to tell me that that will damage my tire they can suck on my hairy nutsack. The link posted is to innovative balancing who sells dyna beads. So using there product which is HARD is not bad but a golf ball that has a plastic coating and rubberbands inside is bad:rolleyes:.

Ira

14. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Funny you should mention them. No, I got that link from their site. I think their stuff is better than Equal .... I've only ever used Equal, but, the specs. of the Dynabeads look better than Equal and you can do it yourself.

Tell me how it works.

Eric M.

15. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Actually nitrogen is used becuase:
    1.) it is an inert gas an will not oxidize the innerliner
    2.) it is "moleculary" larger than oxygen and will not permiate through the innerliner resulting in a loss of tire pressure over extended periods of time. (Most of us are diligent enough to check our tire pressure from time to time so I don't follow the logic)

I tend to beleive it is a rip off but that's what I have been told at work...

BTW I'm a manufacturing engineer for BFGoodrich so I hope that lends some credibilty.

16. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Have you seen the beads? They have almost no mass per. I am about to put the beads in my tires this weekend.

17. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tried equal on my montero and could not get them to ballance out. shook all to hell. I ended up pulling it all out and just rebalancing them. POS IMO.

18. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Wow. I run golf balls and I know a lot of guys that do and swear by them. I figure a golf ball is pretty durrable so it wont break down and it has a pretty smooth edge. Just my opinion and I will find out if I'm wrong but I think you'll wear the tread off a bias ply swamper running it at speed on the street before your tire will become really damaged by the golf balls. Is there anyone here that has actually wrecked tires using golf balls or is it just tire companies covering their asses. I have to take one off this week to get patched and I'll check for rubber dust.

19. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of running something on the inside of the tire to get it to balance out. Could someone cue me in on this? I am interested. Is this instead of weights or with the use of weights?

~Brian

20. gmc4cw

yes it is instead of weights on the rim. The golf balls in the link were most likely out of a tractor trailer tire. The inside of tires are different for every manufacturer. Michelin truck tires(22.5-24.5) have ridges inside them that could cause that type of wear.