Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More on in-line TBI pumps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a TBI conversion with in-line pump. I bought the kit from CutomEFIs and they included a Master E2000 pump. Things seemed to be working fine, but I had to replace the fuel tank (and sender) and now I can't get it to start again.

The pump is incapable of sucking any air at all it seems. So I used the shop-vac and primed right up to the fuel filter prior to the pump. But it still won't start. I opened the return line, and sure enough, it's still not pumping gas through.

I have no idea how this ever worked in the first place.

Any ideas what might be going on?

I've already ordered a Carter P5001 pump since I hear those are self priming, but it bugs me that I can't make this work. One things that's always seemed strange to me is the fuel filter. It's a big plastic thing and it always has some air in it. Won't that cause trouble for the pump? Somehow it's worked before, but I don't really get it.

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Are you sure your pump is even turning on? I have an inline pump on my rig and its been sitting with out a tank for several months. the pump has been uninstalled that whole time also. Swapped in a fuel cell over the weekend and plumbed it all. Started rig up once the pump got fuel to the tbi.

3. Mastiff

Yeah, I can hear the pump humming when I turn the key switch on. What kind of pump do you have, and where is it located?

4. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I dont recall brand as I just walked into the parts house and asked for an inline tbi pump. It is along side of the cell, maybe about 12" of line from the cell to the pump.

5. Mastiff

Anyone used the Carter P5001 pump?

I installed it today and the engine fired right up, but I'm leaking a little gas at the output of the pump.

The issue is that the output fitting that came with the pump is intended to go directly to a flared steel line fitting. I did my TBI upgrade with high pressure rubber hose. I found an adapter at Autozone that looked right (kind fo like flared fitting on one end, 3/8" nipple on the other), but maybe not. How have other people dealt with this?

Also, is it normal to use thread tape with a flare fitting like this? I didn't think so, but I'm not very sure. I think I may have used thread tape when I was doing my power steering, and it's the same kind of fitting.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have a Carter on my 84 K5. It's been a solid performer for over 10 years.

As far as the thread tape question, no, you should never have to use it on a flared fitting or a union. If the fitting needs thread tape to seal, it's hooped and should be replaced.

7. Mastiff

Are you going to rubber hose or steel line?

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have rubber jumper lines on either side of the pump.

9. Mastiff

Okay, so do you remember how you got from the pump to the rubber lines?

The pump output is a small, fine thread, non-tapered, female thing that requires something with an o-ring. It comes with an adapter to get to flared steel line. I tried to use an adapter that kinda looks like flared line on one end and is a 3/8" nipple on the other - but it leaks.