Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more on the strange problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, Jun 3, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

when i get up to 50-55mph, my 84K5 will go and slow as if it was not getting gas. if i deccelerate, it stops, but if i give it gas, it wants to act as if it were not getting fuel, and then it goes back to normal. it will do it in overdrive and drive. (700R4) i know either my clutches are slipping between 1st and 2nd, or the torque convertor is going bad.........(because of vibrations when switching from 1st to 2nd), but this slow and go problem is bugging me. it may be the fuel filter now that i think about it, but i'm not sure. i'll check. any suggestions would surely help.
    Thanks........Kelboski

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

When I first bought my 74 it did the same thing. I would drive fine on the street, but whenever I'd try to go faster than 40mph, it would just die on me. I'd let off the gas and it would come back to life. What it ended up being was a filthy gas tank, the filter on the sending unit was GONE, and all the crud that was getting through clogged up the filter, lines, and fuel pump. I replaced the entire fuel system and I havent had that problem since. Hope this helps