Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Pics of frame buildup!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CCRider, Jan 2, 2003.

1. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

More pics of the frame buildup , what ya think!!! pic 1 pic 2 top view pic 3 It's been coming along alright , just waitin' for the powder coater to get stuff done!!!! Got the motor in last night , check out my transfer case clocking post Transfer case post to see pics of ideas on clocking the transfer case so's I can run a flat belly pan/crossmember out of 1 1/2" tubing and plate bottom!!! later..............CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Some more photo's pic 4 Traction shock rear shocks

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah! I like the axle wrap shock addition too. Looking to good to wheel. Nice choice of equipment. How many hours do you have in it?

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Man that is just pure Sweetness /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Don't think I would ever want to take it off road though after all that hard work and money spent on powdercoating everything /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Powder coated it so it will last!!! Plan on keeping the beast till I die !! Don't worry about taking it offroad , It will get thrashed HARD this year @ tellico , and when/whereever I have time to wheel. Removed the frame on Nov 10th and have been working pretty steady on it , I'm very pleased with the progress thusfar . ...........CC /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Man that is too sweet!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm also diggin that axle wrap shock. Get that thing on the road so you can tell us if it works. I might just try it myself. Have you seen it work in other applications?

6. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Been using it most of the summer!! just cleaned her up a bit on the new chassis!!!! It works real well , I had to adjust the valving in it though , it was way too stiff at first , with the dertroit , I'd nail it on wet pavement and it would break loose spin a little and then start to wheelhop bad , not as bad as it did without one , but I softened up the valving , and it doesn't do it at all anymore , came with 300/300 valving and don't know what the numbers are now , but I have a shock dyno sheet to show if needed! ................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info! I might try it with a Rancho 9000 (5 way adjustable).

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That looks awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Will it have a body on it soon?

9. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

hope to have the body on it this weekend ! Just trying to get everything squared away that is easier to do with the body off ,such as the exhaust , driveline angles , transfer case rotation , titanium heat shields , etc . ..............CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Mighty awesome job you are doing there!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you don't mind my asking, what does powder coating run you price wise? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

where did you get all that stuff powdercoated? i've got a kit but can only do stuff that fit's in an old oven. did you do you're whole frame? i live close to hickory, i'll be in tellico jan 10&11 with my 4runner till i get the blazer goin again maybe we can play tug o war!!!!

12. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

Nice ride, I like the details, and admire the fact it looks good enough show but yet you plan on useing it. Tell me more about this axle wrap shock is it a specail shock or will savage 1's Idea of a 9000 work. I need somting and 1 rancho sounds cheep

13. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Thanks Wes!!! Ryan , I'm having a guy in Kannapolis do the coating , But I know of a guy closer to you that's in statesville and is fairly reasonable , didn't powder coat the frame , had it blasted , and shot it with Gm chassis black imron , paint was free , and had a booth I could use for a day at the shop , so i went that route , sems like pretty tuff stuff!!!! ................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

*drools on keyboard*

Nice!

15. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

I'm in love!!!
    That is so cool

16. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

It's a 7100 series bilstein with special valving 31" extended /19 3/8" collapsed , a 9000 rancho would probably work , I had them on the truck at one time and they really get stiff on 5!!!! ................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif oh yeah more pic's on top in orig post!!!

17. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

How does that traction shock work for you better that traction bars, and will it help rock crawling? If so can you give me info on what I need to build and what hardware is need for it?

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Frame looks AWSOME can't wait to see more pics as it comes along.

18. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Traction bars can limit flex under compression/extension of the springs , as it's real hard to get them to worh on the same plane (swing the same arc) this setup gives it the freedom to move around without binding , but will dampen the effects of spring wrap , there are other types that do the same thing as far as binding but they are a little more complex and probably more expensive , Sam Patton's setup from sam's traction bar or A-trons come to mind , mine is quite simple , and requires some type of mount on top of the housing ,(the farther off the axle centerline the more effective) --within reason , and a mount (basically a plate with 2 tabs you can run a bolt through) that you bolt to the x-member where your frame turns down, and a shock of the proper length and you're in business ,................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

CC....Thanks alot for the info. I looked at both sam's and A-Tron. I like A-tron's cuz its just the one but I also like yours cuz it gives the axle more travel with the shock from what I see. On a single bar type I think it might limit the axle articulation. Thanks for the input and if you got pics of the brakets for your traction bar I wouls like to see them thanks a lot.

20. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I added some more pics at the top you can kind of see them better in those!!! traction shock pic ........CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif