Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More power for my 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigmack, Mar 12, 2002.

1. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I am finally going to do something to get more power. I got the truck about a year ago & it had been rebuilt about 2 months before I bought it. I believe the motor was rated at a whopping 165 horsepower stock. I am going to try to get around 300 horsepower & 300ft lbs of torque. The lower end is stock, it has the flat top pistion w/4 valve reliefs, I have a set of '67 model 291 double hump heads that have been laying around for a while that I am going to use (64cc comb.chamber), they are ready to go and I am putting a set of K-Motion springs on them, I am using a Crane Energizer cam (454 lift, 216 duration @ .50), Edelbrock performer intake, the old reliable quadrajet, and standard HEI ignition. Oh yeah it has Hooker headers and dual flowmasters. So do you think I will get around the HP and torque I am wanting ? I certainly hope this will get me there. Thanks

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

not sure, as I don't knwo too much about engines and HP... if that doesn't get you what you want, you can always get a turbo charger in there, and gain 20%+ HP/Torque from that... you don't want to get too much boost without getting a stronger bottom end, or you'll start shooting rods out the top and bottom...

another option, although a little harder to get in on is to go BBC... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I love my 454 bored .060 over, with an RV cam in it... as it sits with the quadrajet, and stock HEI ignition, I pull almost 300 hp, and 540 ft Lbs of torque ( according to Dyno 2000, or some such... entered cam specs, compression, head casting number, etc into it, and thats what it spat out... ) I'm contemplating putting headers on it to pull another couple of HP out of it, but really want to just get a complete set of BBC vortec heads... from what I;ve read, they're worth 60 HP, and almost 100 Ft/Lbs of torque... if thats the case, I'm all for it. see iffin I can't hit the allmighty 400 HP line, with a naturaly aspirated engine.... ( 400 HP, 600 + FtLbs of torque? /me drools) only problem I can really think of is, I've already torqued the frame with this `moderately built' engine.... throwing more HP under it might not be the best of ideas.

-Rich

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I hear you, I would love to have a big block to put in there, but the money situation keeps me from the big block experience. Thanks for your post.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think that engine should put out 300 hp easily. Your torque should be up around 360+
    Your specs on that engine are pretty clost to a GM performance Crate engine, minus the vortec heads

GM 330 hp /350 engine specs
    Horsepower: 330 hp @ 5,000 rpm
    Torque: 380 ft/lbs @ 3500 rpm
    Compression Ratio: 9.1 to 1
    Block: Cast Iron 4-bolt, 4.000" Bore
    Crankshaft: Cast Nodular, 3.480" Stroke
    Heads, Chamber Size: Vortec Cast Iron, 64cc Chamber
    Valves (I/E): 1.940"/1.500"
    Camshaft, Lift (I/E): 0.435"/0.460" Hydraulic
    Dur. @ 0.050" (I/E): 212/222 degrees

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Thanks Thunder, the specs on that motor are allmost just like what mine will be. If I can get close to those I will be happy.