Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More Power Puller

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WhiteBurb, Nov 14, 2005.

1. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Has anybody used one of these?

http://www.morepowerpuller.com/index.asp

Seems like it would be really handy to have in the truck. Just wondering if you guys think it would be worth the $138.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about those for a while now. After seeing a truck being pulled out, only to have the rearend slide down into a pond, I thought it would be a good part to anchor a truck from the side.

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

They look like a nice "Poor Man's Winch". I currently use a ratchet strap for all kinds of other pulling/tightening/etc type functions, which this would replace as well. I think it would be quite handy, and they are made right here in OHIO! :D

4. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

They work awesome! I use the old come-along and have been using it for years. Its nice becuase u can mount it to anywhere on the truck if you need to be pulled from the front or rear or side.

5. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

i have a cum-along i bought a few years ago... ive used it once lol :wink1: It took like 3 hours of cranking and re-setting it to get me out of a mudhole i was in... its slow going but its better then being stranded lol.

6. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I have had mine for about 8 years now. BEST $130 I EVER SPENT!!!!
    That thing as pulled me outa more bad spots than I care to admit :rolleyes: It is INDESTRUCTABL! I have over loaded it, ran over it :doah: and it still works great. They come with a little wimpy handle that sucks, so I just made an insert for my Hi-lift handle that fits the More Power Puller and welded it in. They come with a nice little snatch block that U can use with 'em too.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

puller

I just got mine last week, I decided not to invest in the whole winch market. I also put swivels-rings on the frame, behind front wheel and in front of rear. The holes are already there. Swivels front and back also, MorePower and PullPal and HiLift; I'll get it out. Maybe even yank a Jeep.:D

9. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input everybody. I'm going to order one pretty soon. I thought it would be pretty useful.

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Double check home depot or lowes. Not sure what they are rated at lbs. wise but mine was about $30.00

11. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

the come-a-long has saved me once or twice. I have 2 2ton princess auto specials that cost me 29.99 each. They have literally towed my k10 up a mussy hill stuck in drive and not running.

12. Gixx

Gixx Registered Member

If you are using one at altitude, I hope you are in some GOOD shape ! OH, and don't use a tow strap cause they stretch ALOT before the truck starts to move. Better than NOTHING, but a real winch seems to be the only way to go, or bring a friend with another truck to pull you out.

My 2 cents.

13. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I did some checking for other similar products in Northern Tools and this unit seems to be a good deal, with the only downside being the weight. The aluminum ones weigh half as much.

Oh yea, ordered mine last night :D . I also ordered a 25' choker cable. between this and my hi-lift, I should be good to go.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

be even cooler with all the synthetic rope you fit on it. :thumb:

j

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've seen guys use a Hi-Lift jack to accomplish a similar thing....not ideal either, but with only a finite amount of cargo space, the Hi-Lift might prove to have more overall utility for you.... :thinking:

16. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I've already got a hi-lift, and its plenty handy. But for pulling from the side or something I think this puller would be the deal.
    Anyways, I've got a suburban, cargo space is not an issue. :laugh:

17. '71k204x4454

'71k204x4454 Registered Member

This one is a lot stronger then the ones you buy at home depot and a lot longer cable. I've used it as a corner pull so the back won't slide down the hill when pulling someone out of the ditch in the snow. I've even used it to move bolders around in the yard and even set a telephone pole with it attached to a tree. You will be glad you got one of these instede of a cheap one.

18. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

nother reason

My reasons xact for using ratchets (HiLift,MorePower) & rings inside the wheels & fr & back, I can pull anywhere. When I camp, I just empty the Burb all over camp so I have room to sleep.:laugh:
    An added benefit of MorePower and/or HiLift in the pull is, if there's a break, the heavy stuff doesn't whip. Lets see, two MorePower would be as long as the Burb, hmm.:wink1:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

puller

Dude, hate to see blood; the handle is soft because it's the fuse. The next weak link in line will be either the frame or the cable itself.:eek1: