Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

More power with a 6.2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGCHEVY4X, Aug 30, 2005.

1. BIGCHEVY4X

BIGCHEVY4X Registered Member

Im rebuilding an 82 6.2 block and was woundering how to get more power out of it. I doubt there are many aftermarket parts for it but i was thinking maybe a cam intake headers and ehuast. I want to stay away from turbos and propane but there isnt much else out there? Does anyone make bigger injectors?

2. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

I had an 82 3/4 ton with a 6.2 in it. I know this it not what you wanna hear, but I asked my instructor (wyotech at the time) what I could do to make the 6.2 run good. He said the only one that he ever saw make power had a 6-71 supercharger on it :D

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

J-code intake, cleaned out manifolds, nice exhaust, and turn up the pump a little... but it'll still be embarassed by an Ecotec 2.2L.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmmm...... I need an excuse to get a 6-71 and a diesel as well :D

5. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

Is that a roots supercharger?

Don't those give you most your power at the low end of the powerband?

And isn't that where all the diesels power is naturally aspirated? And don't turbochargers give you most your power at the high end of the power band, which is why they are used on diesels?

6. resurrected_jimmy

correct on both accounts.... 6-71 is detroit diesel speak for a roots type blower that came off of a I-6 motor with each cylinder measuring 71 ci

one of the benefits of a roots blower is it delivers a constant boost as opposed to a turbo or centerfugal blower that has to spool up..... a roots blower will deliver a constant 8-9 psi (you can set the boost where ever you want) but this is a little on the high side of normal

7. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

About how much would it cost to use that set up? And how much power would you gain? Would you have to beef up your engine and driveline components to hanble it?

And can you use propane injection with a roots type supercharger as well?

8. resurrected_jimmy

I am by no means a diesel expert but from what I know thefirst limiting factor you have to deal with on 6.2's is the injector pump won't supply enough fuel, after that I don't know what effects a blower would have on propane, I'm sure you could build the engine around that set up if you wanted to

A 6.2 is a light duty motor so you are not going to pack in the power that you could out of a cummins I don't know how much power the bottom end can handle reliably....... I don't think a 1 ton drivetrain would complain though

9. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

the powerband on a turbo depends on the turbo sizing in relation to the engine size. You can build an engine that could be making boost at idle, the problem with this is that the turbo will run out of flow in the upper rpms, and will have a tendancy to overboost.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:saweet: so can i buy a new weind 6-71 for my 6.2? :D

11. Big89Burban

I really dont know much about it. Thats the only performance thing I had ever heard about them.

Mine ran pretty healthy but when I was up in WY. for school the elevation is what really killed it. It was on 13"s of lift w/14bff & 4.56's. If the wind was blowing at you that thing would just barely do 55mph :haha:

Edit: It ran healthy until the tranny gave (while my GF was driving) and she didnt know what happened. So she didnt let off the gas. Long story short it killed tranny & broke the crankshaft all in one fell swoop :doah: I was on the side of the road in park city, Kansas bout mid way from houston to wyoming. Had to tow it back bout 700miles on a trailer. Spent about 2 months in less than 20* weather rebuilding the engine & tranny. It sucked bad :mad:

I sold it back in '02. Should have kept it :(

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

would there also be mpg improvement with the blower? tell there would be and thats all i need to convince me to get one now :D

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd say not a chance. You'd have to crank up the fuel to match the air and more fuel does not equal better mileage. Plus now you have one more thing the motor is turning, even if it is creating power. Like noted I'd really say the limiting factor of the Blown 6.2 would be the injection system. Not that I know crap about it. Modern Diesels run turbos not blowers, something to be said for that I guess.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

DB 4911 pump and 6.5 TD injectors plus the blower would make great power. The fuel system wouldn't be the limiting factor at all. The limiting factor would be the fab and R & D required to make it work well. 8-9 psi is on the low side of what a decent turbo system would produce for a 6.2.

Rene

15. Big89Burban

Not a diesel expert myself but I do remember hearing tails about some older diesels (possibly 2 strokes) that used both superchargers & turbo's. That would be obsolete for today. Turbo designs have come a long way in the past few years and really cant be beat as far as reliability over a supercharger.

Probably be best just to get the banks kit. Only other thing I can think of is trying to peice together a turbo kit for it.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Old Detroit 2 strokes used both, they did so because they had to. THe Detroits needed the blower to push the air/fuel in, the turbo just helped power production.