Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

more power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4trolls, Apr 24, 2005.

1. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

how do you get more up hill hwy power without loosing bottom end ? I have a stock 350, I would love a cam but I have trouble keeping it idling off road now. Its the sm465 /205 I have 4.10 gears and 39.5s I know this is the problem but I just did lockers so it will have to be more hp. Off road I have no complaints . thanks

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lower gears, keep da locker.

j

3. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

yah I know thats gata happen but I want more HP and gears are $$$$$ and they just set the r&p when they did the locker.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

find a friend that will take beer for swapping the gears for ya. I'm not an engine guru, but I can't think about any parts you can stick on an engine that are going to give you as much power for the same price (assuming you offset some of it by selling your used gears and the install of the new ones is free).

j

5. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

if money is no object then slap a blower on it....
    gaining top-end w/o losing bottom-end is a challenge (impossible) unless you install a power-adder,i.e.:nitous, blower, turbo.
    you can build a motor with a fairly wide powerband but every combination has it's sweet spot.
    if you bump the compression and leave everything else alone then you will effectively increase cylinder pressures which will pump up the bottom and top without moving the powerband.
    a comp extreme energy cam swap could possibly increase the top-end w/o losing any bottom but you gotta be careful not to overcam the motor as too much duration with too low static compression equals pathetically low dynamic cylinder pressures and too much static compression with too little duration equals dangerously high cylinder pressures.
    In other words........every action creates an equal and opposite reaction

6. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I have thought about a blower but it seems like it would be hard on the engine and I want to keep reliability. Is there a blower that doesnt boost alot? I dont need 350HP . I drove my friends stock 2002 3/4ton chevy and that thing had some power! thats what I'm looking for, just a little more pep

7. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

superchargers take power to make power as they are driven off the crank and they tend to be a little hard on the crank snout.
    If the blower is undriven and producing minimal results the cost can't be justified.
    If it's overdriven and making some serious boost that's a different story,
    but you gotta have the motor built to handle the increased cylinder pressures.
    forged or steel crank, good rods and forged or hypereutectic pistons to start with.

As a rule of thumb dynamic cylinder pressures are 10x the static pressures, so if the static cylinder pressure is 180 psi then the dynamic cylinder pressures can be as high as 1800 psi at TDC, when you add a blower, turbo or "nitrous" (do like i say, not like i do) the dynamic cylinder pressures can rise much higher.

blowers and turbos raise the static cylinder pressure by forcing more air into the chamber whereas nitrous only increases the dynamic cylinder pressure by allowing the engine to burn more fuel (that's why it's so neat)...you can have a somewhat normal sounding engine until you hit the button then all !@#$ breaks loose:yikes:

if you have already done all the hop-up stuff like hedders and stuff then maybe think about bumping the compression, you could mill the heads and/or use thinner head gaskets or find a set of small chamber heads and bolt em up.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well gears are the right solution, but you don't want to do that. Getting the power back from engine mods is probably no cheaper.

That said, the real question is whether or not you will replace the heads. If not, then just do a new intake manifold and cam, get headers and a good exhaust, make sure your air intake isn't too restrictive and call it good.

If you're willing to step up to new heads, then you can probably get close to that 350hp number. However, gears are cheaper.

9. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

gears will happen , but it was never realy a race car to begin with :D How much power can you gain from intake,hedders&cam? and how much from heads? thanks for all the help :waytogo: :thumb:

10. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

11. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

awsome thanks

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

:D He thinks gears are expensive.... you think hes gonna blow $2000+ on forced induction?

What kind of money are you willing to spend? power goal...?

your questions can be answered a lot easier if you give us an idea of what you want to do/spend.

heads will run you 1000+(assuming your buying em new) but you can acheive the same power by installing the right cam, intake manifold, and carb/throttle body. Its important that you match em all up tho.... a low end torque cam(crane cams 600-4600 rpm) will be chokin with a 2000-6000 rpm manifold. good heads make a huge difference in overall powerband...

210 hp is pretty bad on hills and eats gas doing 65 in 3rd... a manifold, cam, carb/throttle body will get you 60 hp if you do it right. If you do go balls out on the heads I would recommend the AFR 180cc... you should be able to sqeeze another 50++ hp with heads.

13. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

its not realy that I think gears are too much money, its that I just had them done. The suburban is fine how it is, but I think the next mod will be heads , the price of a blower or heads just means that it will take longer ...no big deal ,its all just a hobbie anyway :D thanks for all the great input! ...P.S who wouldnt want the bling factor of a blower? :saweet:

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

a blower for bling factor????? oh man. your gonna get some sh$t for that one... i can smell it. LOL

Most of us are anti bling pro power but since the thread is named MORE POWER I'm guessing your somewhere in the middle. :cool1:

Keep in mind that a blower is hard on parts and internal components of a motor. unless you do a buildup with forged pistons and a blower you want to run a low psi setup... something like 3-6 psi. that'll get you another 100 hp easy. 2000 bucks is a lot of money tho... you could easily make the same hp as a blower if you go heads, intake, cam, tbi/carb upgrades and the power will be reliable and your motor will last longer.... just depends on what you want to do.

15. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

for bling factor.... dirtwarrior installed one of those electric turbos on his truck. :laugh:

16. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

When????? your trippin man...

had a post that asked if they worked... :tongue1: :screwy:

unless your jokin.... :D

17. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

Do they work?

18. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

It does. Dirtwarrior showed all the kids at his school. Then all the kids said "damn, yo, now you can take on civics, talons, mitsu without nawz, dats just plain sick"

19. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

fushizzell :D

20. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

LOL.... funny thing is all the kids at my school except for about 5% think civics are the shiznat... pisses me off when my truck can outrun one then roll over the top of it...

Just for the record, i don't run an electric supercharger.... fiero has been smokin... :D